Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Sad indeed, I hope someone takes over the show and keeps those 78's spinning in his honor.

Normally, on a Saturday night, I'll listen to a stream of Danny Stiles' radio show from WNYC in NY. Now Danny is gone...he died yesterday at the age of 87. He really was the last of his kind. I'm sick at heart.

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Yeah. There are some guys out there that spin 78s...Rich Conaty comes to mind, but Danny was special. You know, that's the magical thing about radio. It provides a medium through which someone you've never even met can bring so much joy to your life. I feel like I lost a friend.

So tonight, I'm listening to some old streams of Danny Stiles that I recorded over the years...right now it's a tune by Billy Eckstine.

I know what you mean. I've been listening to John St. John for years.

Yeah. There are some guys out there that spin 78s...Rich Conaty comes to mind, but Danny was special. You know, that's the magical thing about radio. It provides a medium through which someone you've never even met can bring so much joy to your life. I feel like I lost a friend.

So tonight, I'm listening to some old streams of Danny Stiles that I recorded over the years...right now it's a tune by Billy Eckstine.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Enjoy everybody! That's an order! lol

"Treat Me Like A Baby" ~ Sunny Clapp and His Sunshine Band 1931
[video=youtube;EkliPHcpOp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkliPHcpOp4[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Normally, on a Saturday night, I'll listen to a stream of Danny Stiles' radio show from WNYC in NY. Now Danny is gone...he died yesterday at the age of 87. He really was the last of his kind. I'm sick at heart.
Listening to Danny was a lesson in time and place.

His show was as much about shoutouts to the old neighborhoods, the Newark, Jersey City, Brooklyn, and Bronx diasporas, as about the music he played. Every song or 2 he'd dedicate to someone or drop in a casual mention of some restaurant or fraternal club somewhere.

The Big Bands were not a style or even an era to Danny, but a generation. He moved with them, keeping up with their tastes and memories in programming his shows. He talked about Goldkette and Jones and Noble and such, but was simpatico enough to put the keynote on the music of his and his listeners' lives. His "music muzeem" let them see their reflections in what they heard. Like an East Coast Lawrence Welk, it helped him become a beloved figure.

I'm sure that to his loyal fans the news is "excruciatingly heavy" as well...as it is to those who miss the days when radio was truly local, and had room for personality. I shall toss back a tumbler or two to the nostalgia noodnik, Stiles on yer dials.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try and figure out what time it is by --

Now playing, it's 1930 with Annette Hanshaw doing her best Helen Kane impersonation with a simpery boop-oop-a-doop performance of "You Wouldn't Fool Me, Would You?" No doubt a record that once sat on Max Fleischer's shelf.

Next, it's 1936 and Dick Powell's take on one of the better songs in a year full of better songs, "This Year's Kisses," from "On The Avenue," one of the pictures Mr. Powell made on loan to Fox. Poor Dick had hoped to do more serious acting when out from under J. L.'s thrall, but Zanuck couldn't wait to plop him down next to Alice Faye.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
a picture in words and music...

Oldsmobile+ad.JPG

A brisk spring Sunday in 1933 at the Edgewater Beach Hotel along Chicago's Lake Shore Drive. And look at those swell new Oldsmobiles out front - Six or Eight - they move with all the style and spirit of Mark Fisher's Band, the one everybody's come to dance to. Step this way ladies and gentlemen - tea is being served, and it's hot.

Lovey
Black Eyed Susan Brown
...hear them on Columbia Royal Blue Records
309650094_799c3c1113_m.jpg

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
An interesting orchestra - never heard before, liked a lot. Lucky Millinder.

[video=youtube;cg3yh7O_MiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3yh7O_MiU[/video]

[video=youtube;XNkQXVFpB4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkQXVFpB4w[/video]

rue

Ending the weekend with Mr. Louis Armstrong

'That Lucky Old Sun'

[video=youtube;LUb2yfoVbUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUb2yfoVbUw[/video]

'Moon River'

[video=youtube;Fd_JDrnBMMA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd_JDrnBMMA[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
and the flops just keep on coming

It probably took a crazy Russian conductor to get a record company to put out a platter of a swing symphony orchestra in 1936. It's actually better than a lot of what Paul Whiteman was putting on wax at the time. Probably because Paul had many publics to please, whereas who knew from this Yasha Bunchuk?

Crazy Rhythm / I Never Knew
Yasha Bunchuk and His Swing Symphony Orchestra - Brunswick 7801

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen