Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Dan'l

Practically Family
Reverand Peyton's Big Damn Band

Big Damn Nation

Great band that's been around a few years. If you like American roots, bluegrass, or rock-a-billy check them out.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
music to recover from bass saxophoning by

Three Guesses - Ruby Newman & Orch., 1932. Boston's favorite society leader hits New York for a session and spots the snappy novelty trio The Funny Boners (sic).

Mister Magician (Bring My Baby Back to Me) - Sam Robbins & Hotel McAlpin Orch., 1934. Infectiously danceable shuffle number with the leader's lyricatin'. Imagine Ted Lewis after 9 cups of coffee - that's Sam.

I'm On A Diet of Love - Ambrose & Orch. at the Mayfair Hotel, 1929 or '30. I think they did this one twice, with Sam Browne singing at least once. Is this him? Anyway, it's solid.

Two Cigarettes in the Dark - "Jerry Johnson Orch.", 1934. An early Tony Pastor band that didn't make it. Dick Robertson could sing anything but seems ill at ease, as if he met the guys five minutes before the red light went on.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Innnnteresting lecture on WQXR by Leonard Bernstein about Beethoven's 5th Symphony. He takes sketches for segments of the first movement that were discarded, and inserts them into the music, thus showing how the final choices were so much better. Pretty cool.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Vic 'n' Sade, "Vic's New Hat," wherein Sade wants to be there when Vic buys a new had, one without such a wide brim. Rush tries to tell a story about Smelly Clark's Uncle Strap's trip to have a fish dinner, but Sade talks over him and Vic doesn't seem to hear. Some amazing back and forth dialogue as Rush tries to get a word in edgewise.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wally -- have you ever read "The Small House Halfway Up In The Next Block," a compilation of Vic and Sade scripts edited by Paul Rhymer's wife, Mary Frances Rhymer? It came out in the early '70s, and includes an introductory essay by Ray Bradbury and an absolutely wonderful excerpt from an unpublished short story by Rhymer -- he really was one of the most brilliant writers, in any medium, of his generation, and it's criminal that he isn't better known.

True Blue Lou (1929)

Ben Pollack and his Park Central Orchestra
[video=youtube;eK662lIjy18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK662lIjy18[/video]

The Ipana Troubadours
(vocal by Smith Ballew)

[video=youtube;hj0Ao4XljE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj0Ao4XljE0&feature=related[/video]

She was a dame in love with a guy
She stuck to him but didn't know why
Everyone blamed her, still they all named her
True Blue Lou

He gave her nothing, she gave him all
But when he had his back to the wall
Who fought to save him? Smiled and forgave him?
True Blue Lou

He got a break
And went away to get a new start
But poor kid, she never got a break
Except the one way down in her heart

Maybe somewhere in Heaven above
There's a reward for that kind of love
Angels won't blame her, they too will name her
True Blue Lous

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fletch would like to apologize for the next selection.

Is it at all crass or insensitive at this time to have a swing instrumental called Tidal Wave running thru one's head?

I suppose you could call it Artichoke Number Three, or Harold Teen on Benzedrine, or anything, really.

Fletcher Henderson & Orch.:
Bluebird take, featuring Coleman Hawkins, March, 1934.
Decca take, featuring Ben Webster, September, 1934.

Last edited:

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
In my opinion this is the most Brilliant and best song ever written, It is Charlie Chaplin's Smile, but played by the Orchestra that
was in the 1992 movie Chaplin, Also summing up chaplins life were some excellent Slides![video=youtube;EhKTeU2Agqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhKTeU2Agqw[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait impatiently for the kettle to boil by --

Starting off in 1937 with Dolly Dawn and her Dawn Patrol and a suave presentation of "Blossoms on Broadway." Miss Dawn here puts aside her bubbly-teenager persona and steps forth as a silky chanteuse, sounding like sort of a cross between Frances Langford and Hildegarde. All well and good, kiddo, but you still can't come into the bar.

Next, Bing in 1932, at the very peak of his buh-buh-boo period, and one of his more lugubrious selections, "Here Lies Love." The accompaniment from the Brunswick studio orchestra however, is first rate, with very subtle not-Eddie-Lang-but-a-reasonable-facsimilie guitar work, and probably Lennie Hayton on the piano.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You can bring Lizzie if she isn't too busy, but

Don't Bring Lulu - Kay Kyser & Orch., 1935. The band right before their success, holding onto an intimate early '30s sound. The Ol' Perfesser, still awaiting appointment, and Sully Mason write out their invites including phrases of several "girl songs" everyone used to know.

Last edited:

rue

In my opinion this is the most Brilliant and best song ever written, It is Charlie Chaplin's Smile, but played by the Orchestra that
was in the 1992 movie Chaplin,

One of my very favorites. Thank you :)

Don't Bring Lulu - Kay Kyser & Orch., 1935. The band right before their success, holding onto an intimate early '30s sound. The Ol' Perfesser, still awaiting appointment, and Sully Mason write out their invites including phrases of several "girl songs" everyone used to know.

Great song Fletch. I love Kay Kyser :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Right now, I'm listening to Les Misérables. Not because I want to. I would actually rather have a root canal. It is on PBS and Jackie has it booming throughout the house. I'm hiding in my "man room" but it is coming in under the door and through the heating vents.

AF

Nachtengel01

New in Town
Ever heard of Dead can Dance?

They are very atmospheric and middle eastern influenced, you should give them a try.

[video=youtube;itwL5y0He-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwL5y0He-k[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw