Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Pick Me Up On Your Way Down

I couldn't decide which one I like better so here's both versions to contrast and compare.

Charlie Walker
[video=youtube;vhwXahGzWPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhwXahGzWPU[/video]

Hank Thompson
[video=youtube;pbiS04ehVDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbiS04ehVDs[/video]

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Let's go back to the origins of Blues. This is one of my all - time favorites, I just love it:

[video=youtube;V4pcKB4flxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pcKB4flxM[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Here's one I posted 2 years ago: Claude Hopkins, his piano and band, in Minor Mania, 1934. Suavely subdued swing with smooth, swift solo spots (Claude's music lent itself to a lot of "s" words).
Never did get to the flipside of that Royal Blue Columbia, a pre-hit version of Irving Berlin's Marie. Orlando Roberson is the bargain counter tenor.

claude2.jpg

The Hopkinsites at Roseland, NYC, where they were great favorites.

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
I've been re-listening to Groucho Marx on "Pabst Blue Ribbon Town" (1943-44.) Fay McKenzie was singer and "audio eye candy" on that show, and I met her last week at a movie screening. But it's a good thing she said in her interview, that she was "Groucho's co-star on radio" because up til then I had not quite recognized her name. She was there to talk about her work as a child actress in silent movie days.
She was also an ingenue at the "poverty row" studios, appeared in Gene Autry movies, and was the woman laughing at the mirror in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
When discussing a long ride on a crowded train to Milwaukee, the script had her tell Groucho, "I didn't even mind you sitting on my lap for two days."
"That was your lap? I WONDERED why a Pullman chair would have its legs crossed..."

I have a book from WWII, called "Blue Ribbon Town" It was a salesman's sample back then. Groucho spent a lot of time at the Brewery and was a regular promoter of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I've been re-listening to Groucho Marx on "Pabst Blue Ribbon Town" (1943-44.) Fay McKenzie was singer and "audio eye candy" on that show, and I met her last week at a movie screening. But it's a good thing she said in her interview, that she was "Groucho's co-star on radio" because up til then I had not quite recognized her name. She was there to talk about her work as a child actress in silent movie days.
She was also an ingenue at the "poverty row" studios, appeared in Gene Autry movies, and was the woman laughing at the mirror in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
When discussing a long ride on a crowded train to Milwaukee, the script had her tell Groucho, "I didn't even mind you sitting on my lap for two days."
"That was your lap? I WONDERED why a Pullman chair would have its legs crossed..."

Levallois

Practically Family
Just discovered Joe Bonamassa - I can't believe someone this talented was completely unknown to me, my extended family and my co-workers. None of us had ever heard of the guy and he's made 10 albums! The Royal Albert Hall concert is just amazing - if you like Blues/Rock guitar you've got to check this guy out. He's as good as anyone that I've ever seen including Clapton, Hendrix, B.B., and Page. I went from having zero to having 31 songs of his on my iPod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24