Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
[video=youtube;NSb1GkcMCrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSb1GkcMCrs[/video]

[video=youtube;zkIszER1tn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkIszER1tn4[/video]

[video=youtube;QhAGfp4DIbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhAGfp4DIbY[/video] <-----I have to be honest that I listen to the version by Jan Garber on my iPod, but I couldn't find that version on You Tube.

[video=youtube;7S2WtMwK0bw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S2WtMwK0bw[/video]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The two audition shows for Gunsmoke. Matt was originally Mark, and it sounds like Gerald Mohr was the marshall in the first show, and Howard Culver doing the lead in the second audition. All the characters are tougher than saddle leather or twisted or violent. Radio for the post-war world.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I'll let you in on a little secret. I am a HUGE Lawrence Welk fan. Moreso than your grandparents ever were lol

I had to watch the Lawrence Welk Show every Saturday night of my life until I was probably fifteen or so and old enough to be out with friends on Saturday nights. I was positively certain at the time that all of those years of watching that show was going to scar me for life. Even then, I kind of liked the band numbers and I'm a fan of big band music today. There were some great musicians in Welk's band, including the great clarinetist Pete Fountain for a few years. Joe Feeney was a pretty good tenor singer who I could appreciate even at a young age. Beyond that, I couldn't bear any of the rest of the cast and hated virtually everything they did. A lot of it was really hokey. That's not to say there weren't some talented folks on there. The show was just never my cup of tea. To add insult to injury, Welk took his show on the road when they were on hiatus in the summertime and, just my luck, they showed up at the Indiana State Fair one year. Guess who had to go? Trust me, it was under protest. I still haven't forgiven my folks for making me sit through that show in the old Fairgrounds Coliseum, where the inside temperature at fair time (August) usually hovered around 150 degrees.

Ironically, I watch the Welk show every Saturday. My mom and I enjoy it, but Dad complains and we end up having to watch it in the other room. I know the show's hokey, but that's part of the charm. It's just good, clean, wholesome fun. I like Lawrence Welk, too. I always enjoy watching him host and listening to that accent, just one of those things that has been part of my life, always.

I wish I could have seen Welk perform live. That would have been a real treat. Sadly, I never will be so lucky.

At least my whole family agrees on Hee Haw and the Porter Wagoner show!

I had to watch the Lawrence Welk Show every Saturday night of my life until I was probably fifteen or so and old enough to be out with friends on Saturday nights. I was positively certain at the time that all of those years of watching that show was going to scar me for life. Even then, I kind of liked the band numbers and I'm a fan of big band music today. There were some great musicians in Welk's band, including the great clarinetist Pete Fountain for a few years. Joe Feeney was a pretty good tenor singer who I could appreciate even at a young age. Beyond that, I couldn't bear any of the rest of the cast and hated virtually everything they did. A lot of it was really hokey. That's not to say there weren't some talented folks on there. The show was just never my cup of tea. To add insult to injury, Welk took his show on the road when they were on hiatus in the summertime and, just my luck, they showed up at the Indiana State Fair one year. Guess who had to go? Trust me, it was under protest. I still haven't forgiven my folks for making me sit through that show in the old Fairgrounds Coliseum, where the inside temperature at fair time (August) usually hovered around 150 degrees.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
It's just good, clean, wholesome fun.

In the middle and late sixties when I was watching, everything was good, clean, wholesome fun.

I wish I could have seen Welk perform live. That would have been a real treat. Sadly, I never will be so lucky.

Well, I would have much preferred seeing The Beatles or The Dave Clark Five at that point in my life. Ironically enough, The Beatles did come to the Indiana State Fair in 1964. I've met several people who were there. They barely heard a sound because of all the girls screaming.

I was going through my albums and came across a Lennon Sisters album the other day.

I don't know, my grandma was a HUGE fan. She also like Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck. Myself,
I had a crush on the Lennon Sisters.

See, all my friends went to 'Country USA' this summer. They had artists like Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc there. I was excited to go to the Crystal Grand and see George Jones.
In the middle and late sixties when I was watching, everything was good, clean, wholesome fun.

Well, I would have much preferred seeing The Beatles or The Dave Clark Five at that point in my life. Ironically enough, The Beatles did come to the Indiana State Fair in 1964. I've met several people who were there. They barely heard a sound because of all the girls screaming.

[video=youtube;bZr0_ic1304]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZr0_ic1304[/video]

I was there!! My date..and another couple drove down to Naptown to see them. The screaming was gawd awful...especially by my date standing right beside me. All I heard about on the way home was...'Paaaul'..!:eusa_doh:
HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DcV1UI1B6M

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24