Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished: Russ Columbo's 1933 recording of "Just Friends, Lovers No More." Fans of the "Our Gang" comedies will no doubt recall Tommy Bond's unforgettable rendering of this tune in "Mush and Milk," but I think Columbo does a bit of a better job on it.

Now up: Ella Logan in 1935, and "Oh Dear, What Can The Matter Be?" A wonderful Scottish vocalist with a great jazz sensibility, who ought to be much better remembered than she is.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Lots of rockabilly (Stray Cats, Reverend Horton Heat ect...) oldies(Buddy Holly, lots more) and of course jaz and swing(Artie Sway, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Dean martin, and more)

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Just got home from listening to a bluegrass band called Sassaprilla and a band that played cool old time music mixed in with some really odd hardcore thing at various points. Band was called the Clampitt family. pretty great parts minus the hardcore thing... ehhhh was interesting

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just dragged myself out of bed, put on the kettle, and turned on the radio -- and the first thing I hear is Ethel Waters' 1933 rendition of "Stormy Weather." Would have been more appropriate to yesterday, when I had to shovel out the driveway four times.

Now playing -- "Everything I Have Is Yours," George Olsen and his Music, as introduced in the 1933 Joan Crawford/Clark Gable musical film "Dancing Lady." If you haven't seen this picture, you're missing out on a remarkable experience -- in addition to Crawford and Gable, you also get the Three Stooges.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I just found this widget for my Mac dashboard called vintage radio. It plays 1930's-1940's music and radio shows... pretty fun so far!:D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Right now, 'Darling Companion' by Johnny Cash and June Carter :)

I LOVE the lyrics!

Darlin' companion, come on and give me understandin'.
And let me be your champion: a hand to hold your pretty hand in.
Darlin' companion, now you know you'll never be abandoned.
Love will always light our landin': I can depend on you.

Oh, a little saucy mare like you should have a steed.
Oh, a little bridlin' down from you is what I need.

Darlin' companion, now you know you'll never be abandoned.
Love will always light our landin': I can depend on you.

[Instrumental]

Darlin' companion, come on and give me understandin'.
As long as we keep laughin', bear in mind just what could happen.
Darlin' companion, I tell the mountains and the canyons,
Long as I got legs to stand on, I'm gonna stick by you.

Oh, a little saucy mare like you should have a steed.
Oh, a little bridlin' down from you is what I need.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lunchtime listening --

Started off with Dick Powell in 1934, crooning "Happiness Ahead," from the motion picture musical of the same name.

Next up, perhaps the flip side of the Depression-era coin: "I'm Just An Unemployed Sweetheart," as performed by Ted Wallace and his Campus Boys. One of my favorite records!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Lunchtime listening --

Started off with Dick Powell in 1934, crooning "Happiness Ahead," from the motion picture musical of the same name.

Next up, perhaps the flip side of the Depression-era coin: "I'm Just An Unemployed Sweetheart," as performed by Ted Wallace and his Campus Boys. One of my favorite records!

Dick Powell always cheers me up!

On that flip side, I have (still in a storage locker with the rest of my LP collection, a thousand miles away; long story) a record called Songs of the Depression with a great song called "If I Ever Get a Job Again" by singer Dick Robertson. Some information about Robertson can be found on this page:

http://www.picklehead.com/ian/ian_txt_firstcrooners3.html

Sunny

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Lunchtime listening --

Aww, I loved that one!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Patrick Murtha said:
Dick Powell always cheers me up!

On that flip side, I have (still in a storage locker with the rest of my LP collection, a thousand miles away; long story) a record called Songs of the Depression with a great song called "If I Ever Get a Job Again" by singer Dick Robertson. Some information about Robertson can be found on this page:

http://www.picklehead.com/ian/ian_txt_firstcrooners3.html
Danged little about Robertson. AIUI, he was born in Brooklyn of Canadian extraction(!) in 1903 and lived till 1957. Did some vaudeville work in England in the late 20s and then started recording over here in '29.
In the late 30s he had a small recording group on Decca that did nice jazz-pop renditions with his vocals. After that he switched to songwriting and had one big hit with Yesterday's Gardenias (1942).

384445174_7e5773d3ac_o.jpg

ambrose

New in Town
Just got 5 cd's worth of louis jordan Cant belive this guys a 40's singer There is some serious beat music going on here
Is there anybody else like this on your side of the water I should be listening / dancing too
Saturday night fish fry must be one of the first tracks ever to mention rocking
Just cant belive this is nearly 60 years old

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Lately, lots of Juliette Greco. Particularly, her rendition of "Sous les ciel de Paris".

:eek:fftopic: Whew, off the dreaded triple digit number! lol

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Lunchtime listening --

Thinking about it further, I seemed to recall that the Ted Wallace song was on the same Songs of the Depression LP with the Dick Robertson song I like, "If I Ever Get a Job Again"; and that is indeed the case. The LP was on the Stash label, with 16 song tracks, and was released in the early/mid 1980s; there was a longer, 24 song track, CD version put out by Mojo in 1996. I think, but am not 100% sure, that all 16 LP tracks are repeated on the CD. Here's the All Music Guide entry (and if you click on Dick Robertson's name, you'll find additional information about him):

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jvfwxqlgldse~T0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24