Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Panadora

Practically Family
Here is the whole thing

Jazz on a Summer's Day (1960) is a documentary film set at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island, co-filmed and co-directed by commercial and fashion photographer Bert Stern and director Aram Avakian, who also edited the movie. It was written by Albert D'Annibale and Arnold Perl. The Columbia Records jazz producer, George Avakian, was the musical director of the film.
The film mixes images of water and the city with the performers and audience at the festival. It also features scenes of the 1958 America's Cup yacht races. The film is largely without dialog or narration (except for periodic announcements by emcee Willis Conover).
The film features performances by Jimmy Giuffre, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt, Anita O'Day, Dinah Washington, Gerry Mulligan, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Jack Teagarden. Also appearing are Buck Clayton, Jo Jones, Armando Peraza, and Eli's Chosen Six, the Yale College student ensemble that included trombonist Roswell Rudd, shown driving around Newport in a convertible jalopy, playing Dixieland.
Many performances ran so long that the last act, Mahalia Jackson, did not appear on stage until after midnight, performing The Lord's Prayer.
In 1999, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

[video=youtube;NxDk53rSAoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDk53rSAoo[/video]

Last edited:

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Jones College Radio, almost the last Beautiful Music Station in the Country. Was at 90.9FM, and STILL has the 4-part harmony singing callsign jingle Jacksonville, Florida residents knew for years. Sadly, it is now only available via streamed Internet. Pity.

On a lighter note, I am in Chattanooga for work and they just played Glenn Miller's "Chattanooga Choo-Choo". Backed it with "What A Difference A Day Makes".

Panadora

Practically Family
Cozy Cole "Concerto for Cozy" Savoy MG 14010

2005-10-28_173644_cozy.jpg

Fans of great small group Swing are in for a treat with this one. Also a treat are the personnel playing with Cozy. Much of the material here is on an older Savoy LP (itself a re-issue, right at the height of the "Topsy" years) called "Concerto For Cozy", with a wonderful LP cover featuring Cozy's silver sparkle Ludwig drum set. "Jersey Jumpoff", "Stompin' At The Savoy", "..Sunny Side..", and "Jump Awhile" have an all-star line-up, including Coleman Hawkins, Walter "Foots" Thomas, Eddie Barefield, Emmet Berry; while Budd Johnson replaces Barefield on "Old Man River", "Wrap Your Troubles..", Riding The Riff", and "Flat Rock". Ben Webster shows up, too, on "Jericho", "Talk To Me", "Concerto For Cozy", "Nice and Cozy", and "Body And Soul". All of this material is of the highest musical quality, and it is great to see it being re-issued.

While Cozy Cole's drumming comes through loud and clear, the accent here is really the ensemble swing sound. Particularly noteworthy are the piano contributions of Earl Hines, Teddy Wilson, and a lot from the unsung Johnny Guarnieri (I have this CD filed in my piano player section). The Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Walter Thomas, and Earl Bostic sax contributions are also splendid. Cozy's favorite, "All Through the Night" is hard to get out of your head once heard. The sound quality, like all the Melodie Jazz Classics, is superb.

Last edited:
:thumb:
Some nice selections there.....a few of those take me back a little bit. Might be time to go digging through the old records.

They take me back as well. The Paladins were the first CD I ever bought. I had never heard of them, but I gave them a shot and was very happy that I did. They are even better live.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany