Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to do housework by:

Bing Crosby and the Boswell Sisters in 1932 with "Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries." One of the *essential* Depression records, with Bing and the Bozzies at the top of their form.

Next up: an absolutely spiffing arrangement of "Beginners' Luck," from 1935, by Abe Lyman and his California Orchestra, with an equally spiffing vocal by Rose Blaine. One of the great forgotten dance bands of the 30s, and they prove it here.

Cricket

Practically Family
pablocham said:
Stuff I have been listening to lately:

Charlie Poole
Carter Family
Stanley Brothers
Kossoy Sisters
King Hank Williams the First

I have been watching this video of Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys over and over again as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy4Wdlfg7kY

And this video of Skip James is equally amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytVww5r4Nk0

you can't go wrong with Skip James. I live near Bentonia where he started playing. Just had a blues festival at the Blue Front Cafe. It was awesome. I will put some photos up soon with Duck Holmes, the only man who can still play the Bentonia Blues.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am listening to all kinds of stuff.. but they are all extra nice after dark.

Al Green - how can you mend a broken heart
Harry Connick jr. - Blue light, Red light / I've got a great idea
Nina Simone - Feeling good / The look of love

edit: also a bit more new stuff.

Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde (french version!)
Les Baxter - Tropicando
Cantoma - The Call
Banzai Republic - In my home

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Darhling said:
I am listening to all kinds of stuff.. but they are all extra nice after dark.

Harry Connick jr. - Blue light, Red light / I've got a great idea
Nina Simone - Feeling good / The look of love
Good choices ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
Good choices ;)

I know, I must thank the person who recommended me Harry.

Pip - I know what you mean, but this night is all good here :)

also I can add Kinobe - Slip into something more comfortable to my list (the longest song title ever, but simply an amazing melody)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to cook lunch by --

Now playing, Mildred Bailey and Her Orchestra, 1937, "The Moon Got In My Eyes." One of the best recordings of one of the best songs from one of the truly great years of classic American popular music.

Next up, following a commercial for Ironized Yeast (adds pounds fast to skinny hopeless figures!), it's Charlie Kunz and his Orchestra in 1935 with "I'm In The Mood For Love." Notable for eighteen-year-old Vera Lynn's vocal -- her very first recording, and a hint of things to come.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lud Gluskin & his Ork with Yes, Mr. Brown!, a rollocking novelty of 1933. Of course the record was made for French Pathé, so the chorus starts: Il faut dire "Oui" à Monsieur Brown! (You must say yes to Mr. Brown!)

Oddly enough "Mr. Brown" speaks in wa-wa trombone gobbledegook just like the adults in the Peanuts specials many years later...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to get ready for work by --

Now playing -- Bing Crosby, with assorted scatting and asides, in 1936 with "I'm An Old Cowhand." The particularly rollicking accompaniment is by Jimmy Dorsey and his Orchestra.

Next up -- ahead to 1938 with Al Donahue and his Orchestra, doin' the "Lambeth Walk." Oi!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Benny Goodman doing Sugar Foot Stomp on the NBC transcription service in 1935.
Swing, already a fully mature style, in the last moments before its Era.
A warm breeze blowing just a little too early.
image003.jpg

The band no one wanted to hear—yet.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Jo Stafford!

I'm listening to Rich Conaty's Big Broadcast on WFUV.ORG, and he's playing an air check from The Meadowbrook, in Cedar Grove, NJ (in the parking lot of which I once was) of Tommy Dorsey's Band, with the Pied Pipers, with Jo Stafford, singing "What Can I Say After I Say I'm Sorry?"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
San Sue Strut by the Casa Loma Orchestra in 1930, a stompin' arrangement filled with machine-age rhythmic figures that click appealingly along. Near the end, the bass player starts beating it like it owes him money, and the horns scream as if in response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic