Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Obob

New in Town
At The Moment

It's Jimmy Dorsey's "So Rare", via The 1920's Radio Network. In a few minutes, I'm probably gonna go over to WRVO's Playhouse, and try an episode of Information Please, and maybe stay there awhile.

Whoops! Now it's Johnny Green's "Cocktail for Two"; I don't know this band, but it's nice and bouncy for listening.

Gee, I must be typing slow, now it's Ivie Anderson's "Mexico Joe"; I guess I better post this before she's done! :D

Obob

Pip

A-List Customer
lol I suppose we can let you off ;)

I'm listening to a little Glenn Miller, enjoying it as always.

But I feel so ill and decrepit, and no one is around to talk to :(

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Music to ride the Hudson Line by - via the magic of iTunes:

If You Were Mine (from the 1935 pic To Beat The Band), played by Paul Pendarvis and his Palace Hotel band in San Francisco for the MacGregor transcriptions. A "Tenor Band" par excellence - three deep toned saxophones with a sound as sweet and heady as a sunset in an Edward Hopper painting. Are there three sax players anywhere in the world today who could play quite like that? Or would, even?

Next comes one of my very favorite versions of Tiger Rag, by Lud Gluskin's ork with the thundering young Spencer Clark on bass sax. A Tri-Ergon Photo-Electro-Record, made in Berlin in 1929 by an early sound-on-film process. Wonderfully "live" and reverberant, as if they're playing in some huge Tanzpalast long since flattened by the 8th Air Force.

Jack R.

New in Town
At the moment it's 'Mack the Knife' by Bobby Darin, and a few minutes before it was 'I've Got You Under My Skin' by Frank Sinatra.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to sort out work-related crises by --

Now playing -- Alice Faye in 1937, with Cy Feur and his Orchestra, with "It's Swell of You," one of the many swell tunes from the Fox musical hit "Wake Up And Live," one of my all time favorite movies.

Next Up -- Back to 1932 with Jack Hylton and his Orchestra, one of the best of the British dance bands, with an ultra-zippy arrangement of "What A Perfect Combination," from the Eddie Cantor picture "The Kid From Spain."

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
42 Swing Tunes

I went to Costco, today, and found a CD set titled, Sentimental Journey. Three discs, 28 songs each, $14.79. Disc 2 just ended with String of Pearls (#13) and Martha (#14). I'm putting disc three in now to hear Somebody is Knockin' at Your Door and 13 more songs. A very nice variety in this set. :)

Lee

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to recover from doing the vacuuming by --

Now playing: Eddie Cantor in 1934, with "Okay Toots!," one of his hit tunes from the film "Kid Millions." Good example of his Jolson-on-Benzedrine style at its peak.

Next up: The Raymond Scott Quintet in 1939, with "The Toy Trumpet." A nifty bit of nursery-school swing, familiar from the soundtrack of any Warner Bros. cartoon featuring soldiers.

Burnsie

At the moment it's "Three Little Words" by Duke Ellington, featuring the Rhythm Boys on vocals.

And LizzieMaine, you have exceptional taste in music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy