Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try to shake myself to wakefulness by --

Starting off in 1939 with Kay Kyser and his Orchestra and a great Johnny Mercer tune, "Gotta Get Some Shut-Eye," with the ever-silky Harry Babbitt on the vocal. An unfortunately all too appropriate selection for the way I feel this morning.

Next up, following a commercial for Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Tonic for Women, it's Bing Crosby in 1934, and "The Day You Came Along." The Crooner at the height of his croonyness.

Edward

Bartender
Picked up a great 'best of' type 4 cd set of Glenn Miller last night. Found it in - of all places - my local Sainsburys, and paid all of GBP4 for it. It even has all the best-known stuff (Moonlight serenade, American Patrol, In The Mood...), which you would'nt expect. Most old artist compilations I see on sale, it's either one expensive disk with the big hits, or a set of 12 for about twenty pence that doesn't have anything you'd know on it. :rolleyes: It's a really nice transfer to CD.... I don't think it has been remastered (must check the box).... sometimes when the digitise old stuff it can sound a bit sterile.... this has that warm, old sound as if you're playing it on a 78. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to recover from a truly horrific day by --

Now playing: Fats Waller and his Rhythm in 1937, with "My Very Good Friend The Milkman," a side which never fails to make me smile at the sheer infectious joy of the performance.

Next up, Claude Thornhill and his Orchestra in 1939 with a delicately swinging arrangement of "Loch Lomond," featuring the unjustly forgotten vocalist Maxine Sullivan.

Starius

Practically Family
preorderwatsontwinsimagwn7.jpg

I'm listening to the recent Watson Twins album, Fire Songs.
I think I like it even better than the album they did with Jenny Lewis.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to eat a raw carrot while hating being on a diet by --

Now Playing -- Benny Goodman and his Orchestra from 1937, and "Farewell My Love." The vocalist is a young Ella Fitzgerald, one of only two sides she recorded with the Goodman band. She was under contract to Decca at the time, and when those sides were released, Jack Kapp sent his legal minions over to have a word with the folks at Victor, and the record was quickly withdrawn. Fortunately, it has been reissued many times on LP and other formats, and is no longer the rarity it once was.

Next Up -- a fine selection for VJ Day, the old bawdy sailor song "Bell Bottom Trousers," rendered somewhat less bawdy by Kay Kyser and his Orchestra in 1944.

MKL

A-List Customer
I have been listening of late to a variety of movie soundtracks. Presently "Superman Returns."

byronic

One of the Regulars
hadley, i believe that was the last song that Satch ever recorded, he liked it so much that though he was in great pain at the time he agreed to it. i also have the soundtrack to O.H.M.S.S, its john barrys' finest bond score, and a sadly underrated movie.
anyway im currently listening to 'Koop islands', by a swedish duo called Koop. sort of modern swing-ish. not bad.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to make up lost time after oversleeping by --

Now playing -- George Hall and his Hotel Taft Orchestra in 1934, with a breezy Loretta Lee vocal on "Good Morning, Glory!" They must've already had their tea, I guess.

Next up, following a commercial for Kirkman's Granualated Soap Flakes, with a free hankie in every box, it's 1938 with Larry Clinton and his Orchestra and vocalist Bea Wain, with "Our Love Is Here To Stay."

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lizzie - whenever you post, I always wish I could hear all the tunes you are playing.

A mellow friday afternoon to kick of a wilder friday evening : Lots of Julie London, Nina Simone & Harry Connick Jr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran