Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Anson Weeks and the Hotel Mark Hopkins Ork, on ET in 1933, with One Step Ahead of My Shadow. A Warner Bros. tune used in a Merrie Melodie cartoon that year, it's one of those infectiously happy-snappy High Depression performances in what I call the "Whistling Past the Poorhouse" genre.

I can't play you Weeks' version, but the 'toon is here.
Warning: gratuitous Asian stereotypes, and just for Lizzie, Amos & Andy too. Tune hits at 2:25, then for real at 3:45.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the fog to clear by --

First up -- speaking of happy-snappy, it's Hal Kemp and his Orchestra in 1931 with a jaunty arrangement of "I Found A Million Dollar Baby In The Five and Ten Cent Store," featuring Skinnay Ennis strutting the vocal. This is Kemp before the band evolved into the best sweet band of the thirties -- no trumpet triplets, no moony-spoony trombone work, just a very bouncy performance of a very bouncy Harry Warren tune.

Next up -- keeping up in the same vein with Abe Lyman and his Orchestra in 1936, with a move-yo-feet rendition of "Shall We Dance." Mrs. Lyman -- known professionally as Rose Blaine -- steps up for the vocal chorus.

russa11

One of the Regulars
Sealtest Variety Theater 10-28-1948 Boris Karloff's Halloween Party and next is the Willson-Nesbitt Summer Show (AKA The Johnson Wax Summer Program)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Paul Whiteman's definitive, yet overlooked, 1932 Victor Grand Canyon Suite. The original, with the too few strings and the saxophones and the no French horns and the, oh gosh, don't let the kids hear this. Especially if they're planning on careers as classical or jazz musicians. It'll ruin 'em, I tell ya, it'll ruin 'em. Because music can never sound like this again.

Click to reach a sample

59Lark

Practically Family
Late night radio

I am in the habit of walking the dog late at night for a hour sometimes and I have found on a radio station that plays oldies but at 10pm monday to thursday it has a special program called theater of the mind. This portion is broadcasts of original radio dramas. The first one was the most dangerous game with orson wells and keenan wymn. Philip marlowe and something for nothing was the next ones. Usually the last half hour is comedy like duffys tavern etc. They have a web site with live feed stream so anyone can hear these old radio dramas, am 740 Toronto Canada. I enjoy and am waiting to hear if they play the shadow anytime soon 59Lark.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Listening at work to this 78rpm record set, among others I just bought - Blues by Basie.
Has a powerful cover design that I love. I think it's from about 1949 or '50.

2845971197_f5a6e8cee2.jpg

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
Jazz usually.

New recordings from James Carter, David Murray and Mal Waldron...
And old favorites from Sonny Rollins (always in frequent rotation) and the grandfather of all American music, Louis Armstrong. :)

WH1

Practically Family
Just inherited my deceased father in laws album collection and stereo. He was a big band sax player in the 30's/40's in illinois, played White City frequently, and knew most of the top names. Included in the 200 or so albums are most of the big names including the dorseys, sinatra, jackie gleason, doris day, les brown, glenn miller, ray charles, early stevie wonder, and the one I am listening to tonight, Louis Armstrong's 1955 album, European Recordings by Ambassador Satch and his All-Stars. Best of all it was autographed by Satchmo himself, apparently CE knew Edmond Hall, the All-Star clarinetist. I had never heard this album before and it is a truly great one, all live recordings from europe. The collection includes 78s, 45s, and LPs. The stereo is a high quality 70's hi-fi set up. The sound is so much better than cd's IMHO. Brings back memories of my long lost youth.;)

RetroToday

A-List Customer
WH1 said:
Just inherited my deceased father in laws album collection and stereo. He was a big band sax player in the 30's/40's in illinois, played White City frequently, and knew most of the top names....

Sad to hear about your father in law passing away. It sounds like he was a very interesting person, would have been fun to talk with about those big band days in the 30s and 40s.

But, it's great to hear that his record collection has gone to somebody that I think will cherish them. :eusa_clap Amazing to hear that some of the records were signed. I'd love to see photos of them if you have the time one day to post them here or elsewhere.

Enjoy!

WH1

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: He passed away several years ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to know him very well. I also would have liked to have talked to him about those days. He grew up on the southside of chicago in the 20's/30's, one of his stories was about the day dillinger was killed. Legend has it he and his friends went and saw the pool of blood, he stood in it. He was also a vegas regular in the 60's/70's and apparently was at some of the rat pack shows back in the day, would have loved to have talked to him about those.
I have several other items I am keeping safe for my step sons including a S&W mp10 his uncle carried as a police officer in Herrin, Illinois during prohibition. He lived quite a life saw many things, I wish I could have spent many evenings talking to him.

Hondo

One Too Many
Sunny

A song written by Bobby Hebb, covered by a number of artists, especially Dusty Springfield who I greatly miss, to make a long story short, I listed a link with wikipedia for back ground info for those who don't know of "Sunny", I first heard of this jazz like sound in my early teens, when music changed (The Beatles Sgt. Peppers album, psychedelic sound became popular) it came back to me a week or so ago, I haven't heard it in years, forgot who I first heard it from, possibly Dave Pike (released in 1966) then by Dusty Springfield. Anyway hope I'm making some sense here, its a neat catchy song, allot like jazz, I enjoy everyone who covered it. Listen to it some time :)

Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain
Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain
Oh, the dark days are done
The bright days are here
My sunny one shines so sincere
Sunny one so true
I love you

Sunny, thank you for that sunshine bouquet
Sunny, thank you for the love you brought my way
You gave to me your all and all
Now I feel ten feet tall
Sunny one so true
I love you

Sunny, thank you for the truth you let me see
Sunny, thank you for the facts from a to z
My life was torn like windblown sand
And then a rock was formed when we held hands
Sunny one so true
I love you

Sunny, thank for that smile upon your face
Sunny, thank you for that gleam that flows with grace
Youre my spark of natures fire
Youre my sweet complete desire
Sunny one so true
I love you

Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain
Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain
The dark days are done
The bright days are here
My sunny one shines so sincere
Sunny one so true
Sunny one so true
Sunny one so true
I love you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_(song)

Bluebird

New in Town
I have a mix on my YouTube account that I listen to mostly. (My CD player has died). It has some Ella Fitzgerald, Kitty Kallen, Sammy Davis, Glenn Miller, Vicki Carr, Jackie Wilson etc. A bit of an odd mix, but it keeps me singin'!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Iv'e just started listening to jazz and so far I have a 3cd set of Fats Waller and a cd of "John Coltrane plays the blues". I fancy getting some Count Basie Jelly Roll Morton(love that name)etc. to add to my collection.

I would love a recording of "Amapola" played by a jazz band like in the film "Once Upon A Time In America" lovely gentle music, that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy