Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've never been much of a fan of the pop music of my time (70's and 80's). I have been obsessed with Al Bowlly for several decades. I had never had a chance to see footage of him sining until this showed up.

Al died in London during the blitz - he pretty much invented the crooner style which was then developed by Bing Crosby and refined by Sinatra.

This give me chills.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've never been much of a fan of the pop music of my time (70's and 80's). I have been obsessed with Al Bowlly for several decades. I had never had a chance to see footage of him sining until this showed up.

Al died in London during the blitz - he pretty much invented the crooner style which was then developed by Bing Crosby and refined by Sinatra.

This give me chills.

Well, I wouldn't say that Bowly invented crooning. Perhaps it sprang up in different, unrelated places because its time came with the introduction of the electric microphone.

of course, this evening I was listening to some records which were anything but "crooning":

On the Victor V tonight I was playing a pink G & T pressing of "Si, Vendetta!" sung with much enthusiasm and not a little skill by Titta Ruffo and Maria Galvany,:

Madame Galvany's famous (and manic) recording of "Die Hoelle Rache" (also on pink G&T)

Dan W. Quinn rendering (to render, as in to tear apart...) "Aint Dat A Shame":

https://youtu.be/-hTuXJW7jcc

and Nora Bayes, "Assisted and admired by Jack Norworth" singing "Come Along My Mandy"

https://youtu.be/ONyXLJdr5ms

and then a lot of Harry Lauder, which is probably better not repeated here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112