Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Alan, you inspired me to break out some vinyl while workin on some hat ribbons inside this morning. Virgin Vinyl Half Speed Master....

74F3B7D8-A97C-48BE-B388-98A84A6CC1BF.jpeg

Rumad

One Too Many
LOL. Don’t forget, pretty dang handy when your working on stuff and have it playing all day. And hard to play vinyl in the car.....

true dat. Only digital in the car. And I use a laptop with an outboard DAC at home if I’m not in the mood for FM or flipping records. It definitely has its place. Here’s the bedroom system (in the dresser) and the living room system (currently off). Only two of a bunch. I built an amp for the kid recently too, and I’m thrilled to hear her using it lately.
C79F9420-A788-4B51-9EFA-B5EFADC31685.jpeg
04D071A5-54CB-44A5-97CE-81AD5C2AE4CC.jpeg

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
true dat. Only digital in the car. And I use a laptop with an outboard DAC at home if I’m not in the mood for FM or flipping records. It definitely has its place. Here’s the bedroom system (in the dresser) and the living room system (currently off). Only two of a bunch. I built an amp for the kid recently too, and I’m thrilled to hear her using it lately.
View attachment 206922 View attachment 206923

Very cool. It’s always nice when you see your kids appreciate good music.

J Williams

Practically Family
The only genre that really seldom does it for me is country. I just can’t bare it. There are exceptions to that to. Have a great day y’all! Hopefully I’ll make time to spin a few later!

I find that surprising as you seem like a bit of an audiophile. I consider myself to know quite a bit about a wide variety of genres and listen to everything. Country has been my most recent obsession. One of the big problems is what most people equate with the genre is the top 40 stuff and bro country and it’s pretty terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumad

One Too Many
I find that surprising as you seem like a bit of an audiophile. I consider myself to know quite a bit about a wide variety of genres and listen to everything. Country has been my most recent obsession. One of the big problems is what most people equate with the genre is the top 40 stuff and bro country and it’s pretty terrible.

audiophile? Meh. Maybe. Depends on how it’s defined. Sure, I spend a great deal of time (and money) on equipment and such, and as much as I LOVE high quality sound, I’ll take the music over the gear any day. I’d prefer being in front of my gear in a listening room but if all I could have was a transistor radio with a 3/4” speaker, I’m taking it.

edit;

PS, I spend a LOT more time than money. I’ve built and/or restored and modified almost all of my stuff.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I bet I could make country converts out of you and @Rumad [emoji1]

You would have to send some examples..... LOL. I definitely like bluegrass, love Alison Krauss, and I guess the most recent bands I liked were Diamond Rio and Shenandoah, and like I posted above - Brad Paisley’s guitar stuff, but most of the new Country I hear sounds like Pop to me. Maybe you’re right and I’m just hearing the top 40 crap.

I guess I need to research it more. I actually love playing more obscure B Side stuff. I make a lot of playlists of Artists I call ‘Deep Cuts’, and it’s fun playing those when company is over and hearing ‘Wow, I never heard any of that’. A lot of people never get past the Greatest Hits.

When Tom Petty passed away I played a Deep Cuts playlist for a little tribute when people were over for a game night. Most people had never heard any of the songs on it and were very surprised. He had a lot of great stuff that most people never hear.
I’m grateful I got to see him for a last time in Dallas just months before he passed.

J Williams

Practically Family
You would have to send some examples..... LOL. I definitely like bluegrass, love Alison Krauss, and I guess the most recent bands I liked were Diamond Rio and Shenandoah, and like I posted above - Brad Paisley’s guitar stuff, but most of the new Country I hear sounds like Pop to me. Maybe you’re right and I’m just hearing the top 40 crap.

I guess I need to research it more. I actually love playing more obscure B Side stuff. I make a lot of playlists of Artists I call ‘Deep Cuts’, and it’s fun playing those when company is over and hearing ‘Wow, I never heard any of that’. A lot of people never get past the Greatest Hits.

When Tom Petty passed away I played a Deep Cuts playlist for a little tribute when people were over for a game night. Most people had never heard any of the songs on it and were very surprised. He had a lot of great stuff that most people never hear.
I’m grateful I got to see him for a last time in Dallas just months before he passed.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time listening to artists most people have never heard of. My love of Country and roots music really developed when I started going to Pickathon every year - a fantastic music festival just outside of Portland Oregon

Since you like psych rock you should try listening to ‘The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo’ or ‘The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin’ some disagree but I consider these great country albums that helped push the genre forward.

There are also country offerings from a lot of familiars. Most of the Rolling Stones album Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet or Bob Dylan’s early Nashville recordings are quick examples.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I spend a lot of time listening to artists most people have never heard of. My love of Country and roots music really developed when I started going to Pickathon every year - a fantastic music festival just outside of Portland Oregon

Since you like psych rock you should try listening to ‘The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo’ or ‘The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin’ some disagree but I consider these great country albums that helped push the genre forward.

There are also country offerings from a lot of familiars. Most of the Rolling Stones album Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet or Bob Dylan’s early Nashville recordings are quick examples.

Well that’s definitely not where I thought you were going with Country. All good stuff and I’ve heard them all, but while they may have some Country roots and material, they are not classified as Country bands. That’s why I said I don’t like what they are calling Country today, the Poppy Teenybopper music. I can definitely handle some old roots music.

Last edited:

Rumad

One Too Many
Going digital this afternoon while I’m finishing up making bread and getting the rest of Sunday dinner prepped. An old favorite of mine from the 80’s. Hope everyone is safe, warm and dry.
26ADCE58-0245-48D0-A42A-32E3DA0C4DE9.jpeg

J Williams

Practically Family
Well that’s definitely not where I thought you were going with Country. All good stuff and I’ve heard them all, but while they may have some Country roots and material, they are not classified as Country bands. That’s why I said I don’t like what they are calling Country today, the Poppy Teenybopper music. I can definitely handle some old roots music.

Yeah for sure. I think you hit it with ‘what they call country today’ the genre as interpreted has narrowed and is mostly represented by top 40 Nashville stuff.

I listen to a lot of Bakersfield sound and some really old stuff like Ernest Tubb, Carter family, Bob Wills etc. As well as the more singer songwriter stuff like Blaze Foley, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark etc.

There is quite a bit of good new country but it’s typically placed in the ‘alt country’ or ‘Americana’ categories. Bit of a movement happening at the moment. I’ll try and post some of it here more.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Yeah for sure. I think you hit it with ‘what they call country today’ the genre as interpreted has narrowed and is mostly represented by top 40 Nashville stuff.

I listen to a lot of Bakersfield sound and some really old stuff like Ernest Tubb, Carter family, Bob Wills etc. As well as the more singer songwriter stuff like Blaze Foley, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark etc.

There is quite a bit of good new country but it’s typically placed in the ‘alt country’ or ‘Americana’ categories. Bit of a movement happening at the moment. I’ll try and post some of it here more.

That would be great, it definitely is in need of a movement. Sounds like you have great taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy