Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Rumad

One Too Many
89C5292E-EBFD-484A-81EE-29D6F9F51154.gif
DFF0EBA9-6245-494E-827D-5ACD7CE1A6DC.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
While I was on leave over the holiday period, I visited the mini-exhibition dedidcated to the 40th anniversary of the release of the Clash's London Calling LP, currently running at the Museum of London. A lot of lovely stuff there, with the star exhibit being, of course, the splintered Fender Precision Bass that appeared mid-destruction on the front cover. I think I'd have eaten it if I could. As a result, I've been listening to a lot of the Clash this last week, as well as acts relating to them (Marc Bolan and Bo Diddly, both of whom toured with the Clash at different times, Vince Tayor, who originally wrote and recorded Brand New Cadillac in 1959).

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Haha! I see what you did there!

LMAO.....

I was actually listening to it at lunch in the car after all the Pink Floyd talk. That Live in Gdansk Concert has to be one of the best live performances ever. Gilmour was so on, both vocally and Guitar. Played a lot of old stuff including Astronomy Domine. Cool to hear him emulate Syd’s guitar on that one.

Rumad

One Too Many
He’s amazing. Really is one of the best, most fluent, guitarists of “our time”. Meddle is one of my fav’s as well.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Here we go @Hagwood
Now if the girls would only be quiet...
View attachment 206582

Beautiful !!!

I know what you mean about the kids, I'm enjoying empty nesterdom now and can crank it whenever I want, well at least when the wife also wants. I'm pretty lucky in that she like music too, and likes it loud like me, so we usually have music playing all weekend while working on stuff around the house, and only turn on the TV at night. That's where the media server is great. I have multiple zones from the Denon for the house, Backyard Patio and garage, and multiple playlists I made with over 12 hours of music, so you can just have it playing all day wherever you are and everything is something you like. All in FLAC so minimal quality loss as far as digital goes.

Now you inspired me to break out some old Floyd Vinyl this weekend - Thanks !!

You don’t like Homer & Jethro @Frunobulax? LMAO! I was actually playing it for nostalgic reasons, it was my dad’s record.

I like all kinds of music, but since Mr. Peart passed away and this Pink Floyd fest over the past few days, I needed to inject an antidote to the prog rock wanking. Nothin' better than Mick Jones power chords to restore the balance.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I like all kinds of music, but since Mr. Peart passed away and this Pink Floyd fest over the past few days, I needed to inject an antidote to the prog rock wanking. Nothin' better than Mick Jones power chords to restore the balance.

I always considered The Clash Punk Rock, not what I would call Classic Rock and Roll, but I do like them OK. I have a very wide musical taste.

I always considered The Clash Punk Rock, not what I would call Classic Rock and Roll, but I do like them OK. I have a very wide musical taste.

Categorized as Punk for sure. Give 'em Enough Rope was produced by Sandy Pearlman (Blue Oyster Cult). An argument can be made that The Clash expanded beyond Punk with that record. When I was working in record stores, I sold quite a few copies of the album to Van Halen fans after playing a couple of songs off of it. But what's punk? Stripped down rock and roll with a message. The Who is possibly the original Punk band. While categorizing is helpful, sometimes it's not. Just as Grunge was a reaction to the overwrought preening of 80s hair bands, Punk was a direct response to the excesses and pretentiousness of Prog Rock.

Besides, I cut my teeth on Prog Rock, BTW. I was an ELP fanboi from a young age. Genesis, Yes, Procol Harum, The Nice - love them all. Saw most of them in their prime. But I like all music, and my tastes have only expanded over the years. I hated Punk at first, and didn't make it past the second song on Side 1 of Never Mind the Bollocks (now Bodies is one of my favorite SP tunes). I'm one of the few people to buy London Calling and The Wall on the same day. :D

Similarly hated a lot of jazz when I was younger, and listen to it at least 50% of the time, now.

I don't normally worship at the feet of Rock Gods. I shy from the "He's the best ______ ever!" arguments. I have my own opinions on who may be the best, but those opinions are about as useful as nipples on a tomcat.

Of course, FZ is another matter. He stands alone, LOL.

Yep, me too, several times. One of my favorite bands in High School and College, and still today.

I saw them three times. Twice in the mid-70s, and once in 1980. And I was lucky enough to have Max Webster open up for them two of those times. I also have a hilarious story regarding the first time I saw them, which affected my opinion of them for many years.

After that, I kind of soured on being excited about them and moved on to punk, then blues, then started circling back around. I even stopped following FZ for a few years. But I always told people the same thing I say about Springsteen: "I don't care if you like them or not, if you find yourself with a ticket in your hand, GO SEE THEM. You will not be disappointed."

Rumad

One Too Many
Categorized as Punk for sure. Give 'em Enough Rope was produced by Sandy Pearlman (Blue Oyster Cult). An argument can be made that The Clash expanded beyond Punk with that record. When I was working in record stores, I sold quite a few copies of the album to Van Halen fans after playing a couple of songs off of it. But what's punk? Stripped down rock and roll with a message. The Who is possibly the original Punk band. While categorizing is helpful, sometimes it's not. Just as Grunge was a reaction to the overwrought preening of 80s hair bands, Punk was a direct response to the excesses and pretentiousness of Prog Rock.

Besides, I cut my teeth on Prog Rock, BTW. I was an ELP fanboi from a young age. Genesis, Yes, Procol Harum, The Nice - love them all. Saw most of them in their prime. But I like all music, and my tastes have only expanded over the years. I hated Punk at first, and didn't make it past the second song on Side 1 of Never Mind the Bollocks (now Bodies is one of my favorite SP tunes). I'm one of the few people to buy London Calling and The Wall on the same day. :D

Similarly hated a lot of jazz when I was younger, and listen to it at least 50% of the time, now.

I don't normally worship at the feet of Rock Gods. I shy from the "He's the best ______ ever!" arguments. I have my own opinions on who may be the best, but those opinions are about as useful as nipples on a tomcat.

Of course, FZ is another matter. He stands alone, LOL.
If somebody told me in the 80’s or 90’s that someday soon I’d be a jazzhead, I’d tell them they’re crazy. It sure did happen though. Like you guys, I really listen to, and enjoy, all different kinds of music. My nephew once told me (after he apparently witnessed it) “you’re the only guy that drives through town BLASTING Slayer, and an hour later drives through blasting Frank Sinatra. The only genre that really seldom does it for me is country. I just can’t bare it. There are exceptions to that to. Have a great day y’all! Hopefully I’ll make time to spin a few later!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav