Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Sinatra too... A LP called "Only the Lonely". All his records from Capitol are marvelous, but this one have something special. (in fact I do not like a lot the Reprise records).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cab_Calloway_Orch_1936.jpg
cab_200.jpg

Christmas week is always time to remember the Prince of Hi-de-Ho, Cab Calloway (born Dec. 24, 1907).
You know his jive-o-technics, but don't forget that he was also a purveyor of top quality orchestral swing. Listen at:

Strictly Cullud Affair, 1932
Father's Got His Glasses On, 1933 (a musician's term for tricky sight reading)
Hotcha Razz-Ma-Tazz, 1934
Margie, 1934

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
At the moment, John Hiatt.

I've in the process of ripping all of my CDs to MP3s, starting with Abba and ending with ZZ Top. :D I've listened to the first couple of songs of each disk while the program does it's thing. I have a decent-sized collection, so it's taking a bit of time.

Cheers,
Tom

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
Right this second...Blondie. Next up is Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Tears For Fears.

An 80's playlist I put together from iTunes.

Lately though all I've been listening to is Bing Crosby, Sammy Kaye, the Dorsey Brothers, Como, and the Rat Pack with whatever Christmas tunes they sang.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to not look forward to shoveling 18 inches of snow tomorrow morning by --

Now playing, it's 1931 with Earl Burtnett and his Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel Orchestra with a perfectly danceable rendition of "Imagine," which sounds like he swiped it out of Gus Arnheim's book when nobody was looking. Is that Art Jarrett bending a tonsil on the vocal?

Next, it's 1932 and the all-time Eddie Cantorest of Eddie Cantor records, "What A Perfect Combination," one of several great tunes featured in "The Kid From Spain." Pity they couldn't get Lyda Roberti to pitch on the second chorus.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Why .... "Blues in my Heart" Jack Payne and his Orchestra ... It's a German re-pressing; the side was originally recorded for Columbia, UK with vocal refrain by Billy Scott-Coomber.

[video=youtube;q5hcIpqMQIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hcIpqMQIo[/video]

Jack Payne
Jack_Payne.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
78s to not look forward to shoveling 18 inches of snow tomorrow morning by --
Have you at least a new shovel by now? I remember you told us about your old one - the Red Green special...

Now playing, it's 1931 with Earl Burtnett and his Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel Orchestra with a perfectly danceable rendition of "Imagine," which sounds like he swiped it out of Gus Arnheim's book when nobody was looking. Is that Art Jarrett bending a tonsil on the vocal?
It's entirely possible. Art was with Ted Weems for a long residency at the Hollywood-Roosevelt in fall-winter, '30-'31. The Burtnett date was Feb. 10 - Weems and Jarrett were in Chicago the 19th to record for RCA.

Next, it's 1932 and the all-time Eddie Cantorest of Eddie Cantor records, "What A Perfect Combination," one of several great tunes featured in "The Kid From Spain." Pity they couldn't get Lyda Roberti to pitch on the second chorus.
Pshaw. The best thing about Lyda's singing is that so little of it has survived. She didn't so much sing as baa.

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Finished the Cocktail Nation podcast, last new one for 2010. It was about evenly split between Christmas music and non-Christmas lounge material. It would be fun if Koop put together an all-lounge, all-Christmas CN one year; his supply of new and vintage lounge sounds seems to be substantial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner