Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Derek WC

Banned
Yessir, Conway Twitty is a mighty good singer.

[video=youtube;d-HzMj4rW8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-HzMj4rW8M[/video]

Well Chas, I can't get your station from where I am, but I listen the podcasts. As for the request, either the California Ramblers, Vaughn De Leath, or Irving Kaufman.

Fletch, did you get my P.M. about that trombone?

Chas

One Too Many
Well Chas, I can't get your station from where I am, but I listen the podcasts. As for the request, either the California Ramblers, Vaughn De Leath, or Irving Kaufman.

Yes, of course...the podcast; that's the only way you'll get us. I can do that request for you this week; no problem.

Another superb 1920s/30s European dance band.

Karl Wehle and the Homochord Dansorkester -- The Zebra Is A Striped Animal (1930)
(Swedish vocal by Carl Hagman)

[video=youtube;oOkWba2WORc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkWba2WORc&feature=related[/video]

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
[video=youtube;KtDOnBYVfyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDOnBYVfyw&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Don Winters - Be my baby baby
I must have this on 45 rpm!! It is nowhere to be found, even mailed two guys from youtube but one guy got it from a c.d. and the other one got his copy in the early 90's. No luck on ebay either ... one day, it will be mine :rage:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I LOVE Sinatra and Bing. I own tons of their music and all of their movies! More than anything else in my life, the two of them along with Bogart, are responsible for my love of the Golden Era.
I've never heard The Puppini Sisters before! Very cool sound, really liked that link to their music!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to figure out to get the frozen letters down off the marquee by --

Starting off in 1937 with Alice Faye, accompanied by Cy Feuer and his Orchestra, and "Goodnight My Love," one of the many fine Gordon and Revel tunes she performed in the Fox musicals of the era. And if Darryl F. Zanuck doesn't want her to make records of those tunes, nertz to him.

Next, staying in 1937 with "The Dancing Music Of Veloz and Yolanda, directed by George Hamilton," and a classy Lee Norton vocal on "Let's Put Our Heads Together." If you've ever wondered what Shep Fields woud have sounded like if he played the Rainbow Room, this is the record that will tell you.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Some brazilian music from the Era...

A preferred song, from middle 20s. Got lyrics and recorded here in 40s.

[video=youtube;EGWg4YpS1ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWg4YpS1ls[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A Fast Sneeze...

5496783937_d1cd2751f6_m.jpg

...was how the former Arthur J. Arshawsky characterized his first stage name, "Art Shaw." Musicians had called him Artie for years, so by and by, he switched.

The outfit that first wore the Art Shaw name in 1936-'37 was an elegant yet swinging affair, with a string quartet "smoothening" a 52nd Street jam-band front line.

The Same Old Line, 1936
One Two Button Your Shoe, 1936
Love is Good for Anything That Ails You, 1937

Shaw was too early. The standard swing band sound was newly popular and it was too soon to start monkeying with it. Dancers were "meh" - promoters anything but. "I'd get more people in here if I {committed a public nuisance} on the bandstand!"

He reorganized with six brass, four reeds and hit big - only to add strings yet again in 1940.

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
This was a great orch, that really swings! Wasn't Jerry Gray the arranger?

Shaw was too early. The standard swing band sound was newly popular and it was too soon to start monkeying with it. Dancers were "meh" - promoters anything but. "I'd get more people in here if I {committed a public nuisance} on the bandstand!"

He reorganized with six brass, four reeds and hit big - only to add strings yet again in 1940.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Voyage of the Scarlet Queen, "The Winchester Rifle and the Ambitious Groom," from 2/25/48. In this one we get a couple glimpses of a different Gallegher, who, instead of busting up furniture and bellowing "Watch out, Skipper!" jimmies a lock with a knife blade after mutteringly appraising it as "one of those Japanese jobs." We also get a hint of his earlier domestic life. Good stuff.

Nat Shilkret and the Victor Orchestra -- The Sidewalks Of New York (1928)
(originally written in 1894)

[video=youtube;HdRY9IrjxXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRY9IrjxXY&feature=related[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to fan out the smell of burned oatmeal by --

Starting off in 1928 with Irving Aaronson and his Commanders and a real vo-do-de-o arrangement of "All By Yourself In The Moonlight." This song has been running thru my head for days now, and I thought that actually listening to it might put a stop to it -- but now I'm singing it under my breath at inappropriate moments. "One egg please, so agitate yo' knees -- All by yo'self in the moon-lite!"

Next, it's 1933 with Don Redman and his Orchestra and Harlan Lattimore swinging off a hi-de-hoey presentation of "Underneath The Harlem Moon." Great, now I've got that melded in my head with the other one. "All by yo'self underneath the Harlem moon-lite!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner