Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

1. Orrin Tucker and his Orchestra -- Can't You See I'm Dreaming
2. The Boswell Sisters -- Wha'd Ja Do To Me (1931)
3. George Hamilton and his Music Box Music -- Would You Like To Buy A Dream (1937)
4. Ludwig Ruth Orchestra - Beim Ersten Kuss
5. Orrin Tucker and his Orchestra -- Sh! Baby's Asleep

[video=youtube;Vtld2aqgDPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtld2aqgDPg[/video]

Dol Dauber Tanz-Orchester -- Du Bist In Letzter Zeit So Schrecklich Blond Geworden (1930)
(You Have Become So Terribly Blonde Lately)
vocal by Austin Egen

[video=youtube;WXpJR4NTroI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXpJR4NTroI[/video]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
A bunch of Deluxe 12" records from 1903-04, including "Hiawatha", Sousa's Band, "The Star Spangled Banner" by Frank C. Stanley, "Silver Threads Among the Gold" by Richard Jose, "Die Meistersinger, Selection" by Sousa's Band, "Una Furtiva Lagrima", by Sig. Enrico Caruso, "Cakewalk Medley" by Arthur Pryor's Band, "Waltz from Faust" by Charles D'Almaine, and "Dancing on the House Top" by Orchestra.

I've been playing my Columbia AH a great deal lately, as I have been away from home and it is the only machine that I have with me.

DSCF0086.jpg

Kmadden

New in Town
I often listen to old-time radio shows.
I'm an Air Force brat (now aged 62). My father was stationed at a Strategic Air Command (SAC) base outside Madrid, Spain, in 1960-63. We didn't have television, but we had the Armed Forces Radio Network, which ran contemporary programs and shows that had been recorded in previous years.

Thus, that overseas tour of duty was special in two ways:
• Spain — especially the Spanish people but also the food — was an incredible country.
• We kids lived as did the children of our parents' generation: We played outside with our friends until dark, came in to eat supper and then listened to radio programs.

A few years ago, I contacted a man in the Memphis area who — at the time — sold cassette tapes of old radio programs.
Wanting to hear again those shows I had listened to in the early 1960s, I purchased almost the entire run of "Gunsmoke" and the complete series of "Escape," "Have Gun Will Travel," "Frontier Gentleman" and "Fort Laramie."

Thank goodness those programs were recorded.
I've often thought it would be the best job in the world to be a radio actor back in the 1940s and 1950s!

Last edited:
Henry Hall and the BBC Dance Orchestra -- Underneath The Arches (1932)
vocals by Flanagan & Allen

[video=youtube;W_TGPYYqdzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_TGPYYqdzM[/video]

2439739_57b268a6.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner