Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

zaika

One Too Many
Probably one of the best albums I've ever listened to.
1,2,3 Soleils...a 2 CD live recording of Algerian Rai greats Rachid Taha, Khaled, and Faudel. Fantastic music, high energy...it will never get old. Unlike other live albums I've heard, the excitment from the audience enhances the recording rather than detracts.
Highly recommend if you want something different. :D

And yesterday it was Zydeco! lol

vonwotan

Practically Family
Do you ever listen to Sidi Mansour by Rimitti? Years ago, I was forutnate engough to see her perform and share tea with her after the performance while living in Tunisia.

zaika said:
Probably one of the best albums I've ever listened to.
1,2,3 Soleils...a 2 CD live recording of Algerian Rai greats Rachid Taha, Khaled, and Faudel. Fantastic music, high energy...it will never get old. Unlike other live albums I've heard, the excitment from the audience enhances the recording rather than detracts.
Highly recommend if you want something different. :D

And yesterday it was Zydeco! lol

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Just got back from seeing them at the McDavid Studio here in downtown Fort Worth, and now I'm listening to their new album - "Polka's Revenge" by the one and only Brave Combo.

2128549954_7a8ea95cf7.jpg

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Beirut

I just randomly stumbled onto their website and I'm so happy I did! I can't really put them into a a specific category, Its definitely a throw back so I figured some of you might like them. I love the live instrumentation and the singer has a beautiful tenor voice. ( I have a thing for tenors ;) ) Check them out.

http://flyingclubcup.com/

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've been drawing and listening to ABBA and Barry Manilow all day (Weekend in New England right now). Thank God I don't own any Carpenters music or they'd probably be next.

Somebody, help me, please!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
nothing wrong with the carpenters, imoldfashioned!

i'm in the middle of a million cleaning projects today, and so i've been listening to madonna and lily allen. up next: le tigre!

Rufus

Practically Family
Today... Elvis '68 Special, Part Chimp 'Cup', Polyphonic Spree 'The fragil Army', Holy F*ck 'LP', Johnny Cash 5 'a Hundred Highways'..

Next.. Butthole surfers 'Independant Worm Salloon'..

Hurray for noise!

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Ditto Beriut!

TheDutchess said:
I just randomly stumbled onto their website and I'm so happy I did! I can't really put them into a a specific category, Its definitely a throw back so I figured some of you might like them. I love the live instrumentation and the singer has a beautiful tenor voice. ( I have a thing for tenors ;) ) Check them out.

http://flyingclubcup.com/

Agreed, great stuff and I really liked the Gulag Orkestar (2006) album.

"Review by Stewart Mason
The best album to come out of Albuquerque since the Shins decamped for the Pacific Northwest, the debut album by Beirut (aka New Mexico-born 19-year-old singer/songwriter Zach Condon) bears an immediate resemblance both to Denver's DeVotchKa and the current passions of the Athens, GA, crowd formerly associated with the Elephant 6 stable. Like DeVotchKa, Condon is heavily influenced by Eastern European folk music and, to a lesser extent, the mariachi trumpets and Latin rhythms of the desert Southwest: the songs on Gulag Orkestar are lousy with mandolins and similarly plinky members of the string instrument family, accordions, horns, and hand percussion clearly played with dramatic in-studio arm flourishes. But like the Athens folks (some of whom appear here in a supporting role, most notably A Hawk and a Hacksaw's Jeremy Barnes), Condon isn't interested in mere approximations of traditional forms. Condon and friends use the folk instruments primarily as really cool-sounding textures, exotic backdrops for Condon's melodic indie folk tunes and impressionistic lyrics. The lyrics, it must be said, are the album's most obvious flaw, clearly the work of a young, romantically inclined teen who has never been to Europe but has seen a lot of foreign art films about, like, Gypsies 'n' stuff. Ignore the clunky lyrics — easy enough to do since Condon is an unexpectedly appealing singer with a rich, mellifluous voice that, no kidding, recalls the great bel canto crooners of the pre-rock era (along with a little Nick Cave) — and Gulag Orkestar is an infinitely more appealing album. " -Allmusicguide

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Love Jo Stafford.

Thanks for the tip on Beirut, I'll check them out since I love DeVotchKa.

I'm doing some editing of a fantastic story for a friend and listening to Rubber Soul today.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Christmas in the Trenches

Great song done by John McCutcheon. Its on youtube. If you have never heard it it would be well worth your time. Peace on Earth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy