Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Frykitty

Familiar Face
Dirty Three "Whatever You Love, You Are"

Dirty Three's albums are like an old worn pair of shoes; comfortable and you know exactly what they'll feel like before you put them on.

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
kools said:
Quite lovely...it's easy to get me on a Muddy Waters binge. Recently I was on a Big Crawford -via Muddy's early Chess recordings -binge.

Good to see a fellow Milwaukeean on the lounge! Don't know Big Crawford. If only there was some kind of global data base, where people shared information, that I could look to to find this kind of information. sigh...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Theres got to be a Morning after"

For those of us who think of Maureen McGovern, and then think of the theme from"Towering Inferno" ...think again..... she does a rather splendid treatment of the Richard Rogers songbook

wsimh.jpg

Maureen is the one on the right

http://www.maureenmcgovern.com/wasimh1.htm

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Dark Victory"

Tonight I will be listening to the Lux radio production of "Dark Victory" staring Bette Davis and Spencer Tracey.

dark_victory_tv_picture_021.jpg

"On Saturday, in Boans Department Store , in Perth, Australia, I found an amazing hat, it was so amusing , it looked exactly like a Black Christmas Tree, however, this isn't that particular hat"...dam you!!!!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Oscar Peterson "His best tunes" album.I remember in the
'70s, he was on the telly a lot and it bored me but now I can't get enough.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Lee Morgan- The Procrastinator

Although recorded in 1967, this album didn't get released until 1976; four years after the trumpeteer's murder. Thanks to Blue Note for delaying it, as the title is apt! The entire album is beautiful, softly swinging with great Lee Morgan compositions. I can't recommend it enough...

417FZRSSEVL._SS500_.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
The Man from MGM

This afternoon I'm listening, to Burns and Allen an episode featuring Gracie's unfortunate friend Tootsie Sagwell, in this episode Tootsie is looking for a career in movies...Good luck Tootsie!

Elvia%20Allman.jpg

Elvia Allman played Tootsie Sagwell

Elvia played another spinster-on-the-prowl in Cuddles Bongschoonk, a regular character on Jimmy Durante and Garry Moore’s comedy half-hour in the mid 1940s; Cuddles frequently acted as "The Nose and the Haircut’s" secretary.

But modern-day old time radio fans remember her best for her long-running contribution to "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show"; as Gracie’s best gal pal Tootsie Sagwell, she constantly complained about the lack of men in her life...prompting Gracie to usually scheme about hooking Tootsie up with the contingent of handsome male movie stars that guested on the program, much to husband George’s dismay.

Allman successfully made the transition into television work and, while she may not have appeared weekly on any series, she certainly made her mark with semi-regular roles on "The Beverly Hillbillies" (as Elverna Bradshaw) and "Petticoat Junction" (as "Uncle" Joe Carson’s female nemesis, Selma Plout). For classic television fans, her fame in rerun heaven was cemented when she played the candy factory forewoman in the classic "I Love Lucy" episode "Job Switching," in which she has Lucy and Ethel at the mercy of a conveyor belt rapidly spitting out chocolates faster than the girls can wrap them.

Elvia%20Allman%20on%20I%20Love%20Lucy.jpg

Guess which one got stuck with the Strawberry cream?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80