Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ahem...

Binkie, I would LOVE to say that it was the album, but regrettably, it is not. I'm listening to the theme-tune (which plays at the start of each episode).

Why, do you have the CD? If you do, I'd love to get the music.

To legitimise this post, I suppose I should say that I am listening to...

Raymond Scott - "Powerhouse" (as heard in various WB cartoons).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for rubber cement to dry by --

Just finished -- way ahead to 1947 with Count Basie and his Orchestra and the big novelty hit of the day, "Open the Door, Richard!" "Class? Ha! I got class I ain't even UUUUUUUSED yet!"

Now playing -- from 1933, Don Bestor and his Orchestra and a jaunty version of "Shuffle Off To Buffalo," from "Footlight Parade." The vocalist is unidentified, but he lacks the cheesy charm of Clarence Nordstrom in the movie. Nice sax break after the vocal.

Next up -- Dolly Dawn and her Dawn Patrol (formerly George Hall's Hotel Taft Orchestra) in 1937, and a giggly rendition of "Have You Got Any Castles, Baby?"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I got an SMS from JB HIFI that my order from months ago of this Cd was in, I had paid $10.00 deposit so i only had to pay $15.00 for a double CD it pays to pay ahead!
41TR1PYEW0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Now playing -- from 1933, Don Bestor and his Orchestra and a jaunty version of "Shuffle Off To Buffalo," from "Footlight Parade." The vocalist is unidentified, but he lacks the cheesy charm of Clarence Nordstrom in the movie. Nice sax break after the vocal.
Turn it over - that's about my favorite take on Forty Second Street, with all the Foley and the tenorman getting lost during his solo (I can relate). And was that the first example of a board fade? You, of all people, would know.

Now playing over here: Bea Wain, with Kardos' ork in 1937, singing You're an Answer to a Maiden's Prayer, written by the unlikely Oscar Clow. You gotta admire a flour miller from Tacoma, WA, who wrote 4000 songs.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Erwing Blues - Erwing Brothers' Orchestra, 1933

This cut shouldn't even exist. A Black swing group, recording in Hollywood, in 1933? To give you an idea, the only other artist - the only one - recording in LA at the time was Bing Crosby.

Maybe Bing called in a favor - he was pretty hip, and the Erwing Bros. swung like @&%!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran