Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A special broadcast from February 2, 1937 -- NBC cleared its late night schedule for a marathon Red Cross fundraiser on behalf of relief efforts for the Ohio River floods. Featured is one of the most impressive arrays of unpaid talent ever heard on a single program up till that time, including Bing Crosby, Al Jolson, Ben Bernie, Walter Winchell, Marion Talley, Amos and Andy, Lum and Abner, Bob Burns, Johnny Green, Ricardo Cortez, Irvin S. Cobb, and "that adorable Hollywood couple, Mr. Clark Gable and Miss Carole Lombard." Makes me want to break open the piggy bank and send in a donation right now.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Dame Vera Lynn - WW2 Force's Sweetheart

Listening to Dame Vera being interviewed on the Wireless, She is back in the British charts, at age 92! an album of her "War Time" hits being released to co-incide with the 70th Anniversary of the start of WW2, she is dlighted to have the Album enter the charts at #20

5_2009083119272270194vera.jpg

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=18&art_id=87118&sid=25204182&con_type=1

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
1978??!!

Yep...Moonlight in Vermont, in a respectable ballad setting, played by bass sax legend Spencer Clark on the only album of jazz standards ever to feature that instrument (at least until I get around to doing one).

Then back to 1932 for Leo Reisman's ork and Lovable - sung by Dick Robertson, the journeyman recording vocalist who rarely worked with Leo.

Finally 1934, and something I suspect even Lizzie hasn't heard: Jan Savitt and his WCAU orchestra - yes, a CBS house band on NBC's Thesaurus ET label - with a mysterious atmospheric ballad called You're Haunting Me. I guess I might as well make it a dedication...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Flanagan & Allen - "Run, Rabbit, Run" (Rec. 1939).

I'm learning this song on the piano (totally by ear!)...wish me luck. I just think it's such a wonderful, jolly tune. Plus, this song was synonymous with England and the Second World War. As it's the 70th anniversary, I'm listening to it. Also, this was supposedly one of Churchill's favourite songs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Big time radio at its big-timiest: Rudy Vallee's Fleischmann's Yeast Hour for November 9, 1933. Featured performers for the week include comedian Richy Craig Jr. -- one of the most influential early monologists, and the source from whom Bob Hope lifted his entire delivery style. This was Craig's final performance --- he died less than three weeks later. Also featured is George Gershwin, appearing at the piano for the third movement of his Concerto In F, a performance never commercially recorded by Gershwin. Songs by Rudy are taken from Joan Crawford's new MGM musical comedy "Dancing Lady." Also appearing for a solo is Rudy's latest discovery -- and girlfriend -- the charming youngster Alice Faye. The dramatic sketch for the week, adapted from a short story by Ring Lardner, features a rising Broadway talent, Miss Kitty Carlisle. Announcer Jimmy Wallington is presented as the winner of the 1933 Diction Award presented by the American Academy of Arts and Letters

In other words, just a typical week for the Vallee program, a big show of which there was never none bigger.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I just bought the Best of Buddy Holly at Wal-Mart. I'm really enjoying it so far, it's got all his greatest songs, and a few early ones he did in Texas.

anon`

One Too Many
J.L. Picard said:
Still right there with you friend...Great taste. I also love: Per aspera ad astra :D

Thank you for the post.
Wow... and here I thought I was the only avowed fan of obscure metal nobody else has ever heard of!

I'm totally loving on my newest pair of headphones, which makes lush recordings full of all kinds of different instrumentation and voice absolutely incredible.

Tonight, just now, it's Lumsk - Nøkken. Stine's voice is to die for!

51TWJN0GWSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn