Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Wally_Hood said:
Shangas, do you like some of Jack Webb's early work, such as Pat Novak, Johnny Madero, Jeff Regan, etc.?

I've heard OF IT, but I've never listened to it, I'll admit. "Pat Novak" is a name I've heard of before, though. Perhaps I'll look it up. Is he any good listening to?

Cab Calloway - "Minnie the Moocher".

Hidey-hidey-hidey-hi! (Hidey-hidey-hidey-hi...)
Heyde-heyde-heyde-hey! (Heyde-heyde-heyde-hey...)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover
Jean Goldkette's Orchestra in 1927 with Billy "Methuselah" Murray, Joe Venuti, Tram and just a bit o' Bix at the rideout.

1947fourleafclover.JPG

...and it's overlooking me. Uptown String Band, Philadelphia, 1947.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Shangas said:
I've heard OF IT, but I've never listened to it, I'll admit. "Pat Novak" is a name I've heard of before, though. Perhaps I'll look it up. Is he any good listening to? QUOTE]

Novak, Madero, Regan are all characters played by Webb prior to his Sgt. Friday character on Dragnet. Check out archive.org, or google the names of the characters.

It's fun to see Webb develop the dead pan delivery which was perfected in Dragnet.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to swelter by --

Now playing, Dick Powell in 1933 with "The Road Is Open Again!", the official song of the National Recovery Administration, as introduced in a film short of the same name. Powell blasts into Nelson Eddy territory for the rousing finale.

13098_detail.jpg

(Note that Dick gets to share the billing on the sheet music.)

Next up, Ted Fio Rito and his Orchestra in 1937 with a lush rendition of "Vieni Vieni." Muzzy Marcellino and the Debutantes on the not-too-Vallee-like vocal.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Now wait just one cotton pickin' minute there Miss Lizzie...

If that stuffed-shirt Connecticut Yankee has more of a claim on Vieni, Vieni than two paesan's named Fio Rito and Marcellino,
I will steam, sauté, and eat my self-banded heavyweight felt Borsalino.

I'm not a poet, and I know it. But I call my back teeth "Ogdens" 'cause they gnash.

Professor

A-List Customer
My latest favorite tune...
[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IGAYzC4jtjc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IGAYzC4jtjc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try and fix my broken glasses by --

Now playing, the Mills Brothers in 1932, in all their "Four Boys And A Guitar" glory, with "I Can't Give You Anything But Love." If there ever was a prototypical early Mills record, this would be it.

Next up, back to 1926 with British stage stars Gertrude Lawrence and Jack Buchanan, and "A Cup Of Coffee, A Sandwich, and You." Reminds me that I need to pack a lunch for work today.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
December, 1932, and time to enjoy one of those new Royal Blue Columbia Records.
This one's by Enric Madriguera and his swell Biltmore Hotel Orchestra, and is an example of the sophistication pop musicians can get away with when they think no one is listening.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdMTcB__z5I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdMTcB__z5I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
December, 1932, and time to enjoy one of those new Royal Blue Columbia Records.

Thank you Fletch, great choice :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot