Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Listening to Bob Willis and his Texas Playboys. My Pop was a big CW fan so I grew up with Bob he was also a Big Jim Reeves fan. My Pop learn to play Guitar while studying Gene Autrys finger work in his Movies. Country Music was popular in the pre-war Dutch Indies.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Red Nichols and his Many Pennies, filming for Paramount in 1935, do Everybody Loves My Baby.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueArnsBxMi8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueArnsBxMi8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

From the same year, Duke Ellington and Showboat Shuffle. They get a rhythm going that I can't describe. Whatever it is, it's not a shuffle, altho the intro does give the feel of rocking on a big boat.
Click Duke to play. Note snappy beltback.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A 1940 remote broadcast by Ted Fio Rito and his Sky-Line Orchestra -- a band which sounds nothing whatsoever like the familiar Fio Rito band of the mid-thirties, except that Candy Candido is still around with the occasional novelty vocal. But where's Muzzy Marcellino! Where's the Debutantes! Where's the clickety-clackety temple-block rhythm. And what's with the zooming airplane sound effect at the start of the broadcast?

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
Red Nichols and his Many Pennies, filming for Paramount in 1935, do Everybody Loves My Baby.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueArnsBxMi8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueArnsBxMi8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

From the same year, Duke Ellington and Showboat Shuffle. They get a rhythm going that I can't describe. Whatever it is, it's not a shuffle, altho the intro does give the feel of rocking on a big boat.
Click Duke to play. Note snappy beltback.

Does anyone know who the three male singers are with Red Nichols in this video?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
tbrunke said:
Does anyone know who the three male singers are with Red Nichols in this video?
They're the Song-o-pators, who recorded with Red's Chicago-based road band in 1934. This is probably that band in the film, altho some Tuber claimed Benny Goodman was sitting in on clarinet. (I disagree.)

Red returned to New York in early '35 to begin conducting a radio program, Kellogg's College Prom.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
They're the Song-o-pators, who recorded with Red's Chicago-based road band in 1934. This is probably that band in the film, altho some Tuber claimed Benny Goodman was sitting in on clarinet. (I disagree.)

Red returned to New York in early '35 to begin conducting a radio program, Kellogg's College Prom.

Thanks for the info. Fletch. I have been listening to alot more of Red Nichols lately and trying to find some good CD's out there of his recordings. I would have to agree that Benny was probably not sitting in.

anon`

One Too Many
Nightwish - Escapist

61e6M0CF73L._SS500_.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Jack, I think I will join you.

I am listening to...

Frank Sinatra: "The Greatest Hits" (1940-1947) 2-disc CD set.

Track #1: "Saturday Night is the Loneliest Night of the Week".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
tbrunke said:
Thanks for the info. Fletch. I have been listening to alot more of Red Nichols lately and trying to find some good CD's out there of his recordings.
Two you may miss - not well known - are the 1935-'36 radio ETs by this particular band (on the CIRCLE label), and the 1939 RCA recording band (on the HEP label). Not as hot as the 20s stuff but very good listening.

I would have to agree that Benny was probably not sitting in.
They worked together in 1929-'30 and that was it, AFAIK.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
Two you may miss - not well known - are the 1935-'36 radio ETs by this particular band (on the CIRCLE label), and the 1939 RCA recording band (on the HEP label). Not as hot as the 20s stuff but very good listening.

They worked together in 1929-'30 and that was it, AFAIK.

Thanks I'll look into those, do you know if they are on CD?

Benny was busy in '35 working on the "Let's Dance" program.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21