Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"A Nice Cup Of Tea"

B00004YRZ9.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Gracie Fields, "A Nice Cup Of Tea"

A NICE CUP OF TEA
(Herbert / Sullivan)

I like a nice cup of tea in the morning
For to start the day you see
And at half-past eleven
Well my idea of Heaven
Is a nice cup of tea
I like a nice cup of tea with my dinner
And a nice cup of tea with my tea
And when it's time for bed
There's a lot to be said
For a nice cup of tea

3424226380_776bf43b03.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ahhhh.... this is the second week of September 2009!! It's 1964 all over again and it's all Beatles all the time around our pad! Have you notices all the posters, magazine, newspapers, TV, radio and internet buzz? The entire Beatle catalog is new again - like it's never been heard before! Fab! Gear!

-dixon 'Beatle' cannon

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Al Bowlly - Can't We Meet Again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUAnlfMFe0&feature=related

Al Bowlly is credited with inventing crooning, or "The Modern Singing Style", releasing a book of the same name. Bowlly experimented with new methods of amplification, not least with his Melody Maker advert. With the advent of the microphone in 1925 ;) , Al adapted his singing style, moving away from the Jazz singing style of the 20s, into the softer, more expressive crooning singing style used in popular music of the 30s and 40s.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Dennis Potter re-introduced us to Al Bowley in 1978 with his amazing Tv Mini Series "Pennies from Heaven" since then any talking picture set in the 30's features an "Al Bowley" number (if its British, that is), starage since hes was a South African, but you do hear the loveliest English accents in Cape Town!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to cook my oatmeal by --

Starting off in 1930 with Ted Wallace and his Campus Boys with "The Maine Stein Song," the familiar ode to mug-hoisting at dear old Camp Orono. Still the most popular activity on campus, they tell me. Ted and the boys do a very traditional Vallee-like arrangement with the exception of an excellent hot half-chorus.

Next up, Freeman F. Gosden and Charles J. Correll in 1926 and one of their first recordings, a delightful harmony number called "Who Is Your Who?" Interpolated is a clever comic dialogue exchange which features a hilarious female impersonation by Gosden: "If you don't quit pestering me, I'll go home to mother!"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's coming on spring and summer here in Australia, with our retarded, upside-down weather...

And in the warmer months, I like listening to Django Reinhardt. The current track is, I think, one of his best ever: "Belleville".

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Listening to the TV right now but earlier today I was listening to my "new"
78s. I picked up five today; The Ink Spots (two records,) Glenn Miller, The Stardusters, and Xavier Cugat, all for a buck a piece. I've had my record player (an old classroom model from Audiotronics) and I've only had 33 1/3rds up until now. I was amazed how great the 78s sound, despite some scratches and even a crack or two.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
"You're My Jamaica", Charley Pride. The Mr. has put on the classic country channel. We used to have both "Big Band & Swing" and "Singers and Standards" tv music channels, but the two have apparently been combined as one now (to make room for yet one more hip hop, rap category, I presume), and the quality seems to have diminished as well. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder if the bacon's gone by by --

Starting off with another Bluebird from 1938 by Shep Fields and his Rippling Rhythm, clickety-clacketing along with one of the better songs of the year, "The Moon Got In My Eyes." Crosby made the definitive record of it, but this is a surprisingly good version.

Next up, from 1934, a Brunswick offering more proof that Ted Fio Rito was the Kay Kyser of the early thirties, with Muzzy and the Debutantes joining in for "I Went Hunting And The Big Bad Wolf Was Dead." "I took my gun and I went like this and I shot him thru the head!" Bloodthirsty stuff, but the Depression was like that.

Antje

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
Here is the link I just listened to it.... There was a television commercial years ago which stated that Ole Slim had more hits than the Beatles.

Who knows maybe he did, however, growing up in my area no one ever heard of Slim...lol lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_xmYYUWCs

nice video, I didn't know Slim had more hits than the Beatles,
I really don't care either, it is nice to now ofcourse.
For me someone doesn't have to be a big hit,
If i like it I like it

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
78s to wonder if the bacon's gone by by --

Starting off with another Bluebird from 1938 by Shep Fields and his Rippling Rhythm, clickety-clacketing along with one of the better songs of the year, "The Moon Got In My Eyes." Crosby made the definitive record of it, but this is a surprisingly good version.

Next up, from 1934, a Brunswick offering more proof that Ted Fio Rito was the Kay Kyser of the early thirties, with Muzzy and the Debutantes joining in for "I Went Hunting And The Big Bad Wolf Was Dead." "I took my gun and I went like this and I shot him thru the head!" Bloodthirsty stuff, but the Depression was like that.
Also recommended:
- Jimmy Dorsey's Moon Got In My Eyes, ably put over by Bob Eberly (Decca).
- Joe Haymes' and Anthony Trini's I Went Hunting - Haymes interpolating a chorus of Spud Murphy's chart on You Can Depend on Me (Melotone), Trini featuring the "grown-up little girl" voice of Beth Challis (Bluebird).

Some extraordinary Sax music. The history in the CD's tells me that there was a period in the US when Saxophone based bands were very popular, These guys really do Saxophones right and it really shows why this music was so loved. Also, the recording techniques on these reflect a concept of modern recording equipment hooked to beautifully recondition or new but old style mikes and the old style microphone placement that makes for an interesting old time sound with out the limitations of the old time records. One of them is actually done in MONO not stereo but you can hear the ambience of the studio room clearly! Some of these came out on Koch Music but they were all originally and still on Basta Music from Holland and they have a website. Also if you pop the Beau Hunks in you-tube some of their music videos will come up.

The Beau Hunks Saxophone Soctette (Band name is the title.)
The Beau Hunks Saxophone Soctette "Contrasts"
Al Gallodoro with the Beau Hunks "Out Of Nowhere"
Ronald Jansen Heijtmajer "Fingerbustin'" Novelty & Swing for the Saxophone

The we got:
The Robert Veen Sextet "Aces of Swing" Tribute to Kirby & Shavers
The Beau Hunks (Orchestra) "Play the Original Little Rascals Music" Showcasing Leroy Shields movie soundtrack music used in the Hal Roach comedies including Laurel & Hardy.

And that's for a start. Sharing good music with a person that appreciates it is as good as sharing a fine meal: half the joy is in the hearing or eating and the other half is in talking about how good it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy