Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
The Frank Auburn Orchestra -- I Found a Million Dollar Baby
Of course you know Frank was really Ben Selvin. So were Buddy Campbell, Roy Carroll, Jerry Fenwyck, the Cloverdale Country Club Ork, and many another recording group.

Even some real leaders, like Eddie Droesch and Mickey Alpert, got their names swiped for use on Ben's sessions. Alpert's real-life band was unfortunate to be playing Boston's Coconut Grove the night it burned down in 1942, with almost 500 lives lost. Mickey and some of the band made it out; some did not.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
blasting Ella Fitzgerald singing "Its Too Darn Hot" on the way home in the commute traffic, from her Verve recording of Ella Sings the Cole Porter Songbook CDs. Perfectly suited for this heat wave we're having!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
A bit of bosa nova

Does jazz get any better than Getz?

albumcovergetzgilberto.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The best music is a moment in time that never gets old. Getz' bossa period was such a moment.

My mom & dad were young married people in Washington, DC, when a local DJ broke the bossa craze - for the whole country! - in 1961-'62. Crazy tho it sounds, Getz, Byrd, Jobim and that crowd, plus Camelot and just being young, made Washington an unbelievably romantic city in those years. They still feel that way about it. :eek:

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Fletch said:
The best music is a moment in time that never gets old. Getz' bossa period was such a moment.

My mom & dad were young married people in Washington, DC, when a local DJ broke the bossa craze - for the whole country! - in 1961-'62. Crazy tho it sounds, Getz, Byrd, Jobim and that crowd, plus Camelot and just being young, made Washington an unbelievably romantic city in those years. They still feel that way about it. :eek:

You got that right Fletch. This album is timeless. I didn't know that it all started in Washington, but isn't it so cool that it created a lasting romantic connection with DC for your parents.

And noone makes The Girl From Ipanema sound sexy like Astrud Gilberto on this album.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try to remember what I was thinking of by --

First up, a Canadian Bluebird from 1933 by Bill Scott and his Orchestra, with the rhumba from "Dancing Lady," "Orchids In The Moonlight." Lee Sullivan is a credible substitute for Art Jarret on the vocal.

Next, from 1934, a Royal Blue Columbia featuring Little Jack Little and his Orchestra, and a tune that should be better known than it is, "Like Two Little Flies On A Lump Of Sugar," written by Irving and Sammy for the Warners' comic strip adaptation "Harold Teen." Jack Himself enunciates the vocal.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
First up, a Canadian Bluebird from 1933 by Bill Scott and his Orchestra, with the rhumba from "Dancing Lady," "Orchids In The Moonlight." Lee Sullivan is a credible substitute for Art Jarret on the vocal.
Just in case anyone's local Bluebird dealer can't find it, it's actually Bill Scotti. But you knew that. :D

Isn't that the one where they play the verse (minor) about 5 times and the chorus only twice?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
Just in case anyone's local Bluebird dealer can't find it, it's actually Bill Scotti. But you knew that. :D

Isn't that the one where they play the verse (minor) about 5 times and the chorus only twice?

Yep, that's the one. Found it in "La Marche du Disque," the late lamented record store off Square St. Louis in Montreal. Also found a bunch of English Parlophones by Geraldo and his Orchestra, and if I'd had just a little more cash on me I could have owned the 20-inch Pathe they were using as a wall decoration.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to get ready to go see the eye doctor by ---

Now playing, it's 1932 with Bob Causer and his Cornellians -- yet another pseudonym for the A. R. C. house band featuring whatever first-rate jazzmen were hanging around looking for work that day -- and a great Chick Bullock vocal on "Ev'ryone Says I Love You," the Kalmar-Ruby tune from the Marx Brothers film "Horse Feathers." Zeppo's one big chance to make a hit record, but he never did it.

Next up, one of the unavoidable tunes from 1933, as rendered by Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians, with the Lombardo Trio vocalizing "Annie Doesn't Live Here Anymore." Never trust a guy in a checkered suit, a fancy vest, and polka-dot tie.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Last night, I shared my The Crown Syncopators CD "Ragtime Dance Party" with my YMCA Pilates class. The teacher and all the other students really enjoyed it. Kinda fun doing "the 100", ab crunches, and leg raises to 100+yo music...:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic