Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
More Cockburn

011661318021_440162.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to prove that a watched kettle never boils by ...

Starting off with Annette Hanshaw in 1931, with one of her big dimestore-label hits of the day, "Would You Like To Take A Walk." Perambulating along with her is the usual uncredited house band, featuring a very pleasant muted trumpet solo. Mannie Klein, is that you?

Next up, ahead to 1933, Enric Madriguera and his Hotel Biltmore Orchestra with an ever-so-rousing rendition of "Let's Have Another Cup Of Coffee." I hope it ain't Sanka.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Mannie Klein, is that you?
It was always Mannie. Unless it was Bunny Berigan. The same 25 or 30 guys made all those records and the same 3 or 4 vocalists always sang on them.

Years later, Manny (as he then was) got to controlling a lot of the hiring for Hollywood studio musicians. :rolleyes: Hmmmmm.

Next up, ahead to 1933, Enric Madriguera and his Hotel Biltmore Orchestra with an ever-so-rousing rendition of "Let's Have Another Cup Of Coffee." I hope it ain't Sanka.
You must have meant to type 1932. More tea?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday: A concert by RSJO (Royal Society Jazz Orchestra) at the Armstrong Redwoods State National reserve in Guerneville. Held in their outdoor ampitheater. Our son Daniel and I went. We had a GREAT time dancing together and enjoying the wonderful music. There was a couple doing swing dancing on a make shift small dance floor- us other dancers were dancing in the band pit , made originally slightly lowered so you could see the band on the stage while people are dancing. Daniel and I traded partners with the swing dancers for a couple of dances. An afternoon of sheer dancing and listening heaven to glorious music in a unique and beautiful outdoor venue. Didn't take a camera so I have NO pics!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I was listening to Peggy Lee before I went to bed. Haven't listened to her for quite a while. Listened to her again this morning. Is That All There Is -1969. Not GE but the tune is timeless and I prefer her voice in her more mature years over her younger sounding voice.

Sometimes I enjoy listening to different covers of the same song and I rarely have a preference for one artist's cover over another artist's. I can usually appreciate what each artist brings to the same song. On a rare occassion I do have a preference. I pretty much prefer any artist's cover of a song over a Beatles cover of the same song. Fx. Dion Dimucci, Bobby Vinton and Bobby Vee are all good on Take Good Care of My Baby (orig. cut for Dion but I'm not sure he ever released his cover) but I can't stand the Beattles on it (or whatever they're called). Actually, I just can't stand them. Well, each to their own...

Right now I feel for In The Still of The Night and it doesn't matter if it's Jo Stafford or Dion Dimucci. I don't have a preference either way. Have both on CD so I don't have to read people's comments for preference one way or the other on youtube.:rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Eating my supper to the accompaniment of baseball's 1934 All Star Game, live from the Polo Grounds in New York. Graham McNamee is just now setting the stage, describing the "two murderous rows" lined up in the opposing dugouts. Makes me want a hot dog, but all I've got is corned beef.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm hoping that by only listening to upbeat music today, it'll counter balance my mood into something more positive before hub gets home. Mom pushed my buttons yesterday and I'm still wound up. The pharmacy is employed by a bunch of scatterbrains and I my hair collapsed on me!

Dion Dimucci - My Private Joy, A Funny Feeling, Swinging Street, You Better Not Do That, The Majestic, and Ain't That Better Baby.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to prepare for a very long day by --

First up, a too-snappy-to-live performance by Roger Wolfe Kahn and his Orchestra from 1932, "A Shine On Your Shoes," which also manages to fit in a full chorus of "Louisiana Hayride," complete with vocal by the "Kahn-A-Sirs" trio. Extra value for your Depression six bits.

Next, it's Eddie Cantor in 1932 with what has to be the most Eddie Cantorish record ever issued, "What A Perfect Combination." If ever a phonograph record could jump off the turntable and prance around the room rolling its eyes an clapping its hands, it would be this one. "Turn me over! I'm all donnnnnne on this side!"

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lately, I find myself playing over and over Sweet Lorraine by Woody Herman & Orchestra. I love the beginning instrumental - light, high sounding trumpets, contrasted by deep sax... Heaven!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to watch the frost melt by --

First up, Russ Morgan and his Orchestra in 1938 with another great Dubin-Warren tune, "You're An Education." These "Music in The Morgan Manner" Brunswicks are always pleasant middlebrow hotel-type dance music, but this one greatly benefits from an excellent vocal by Bernice Parks, who is very clearly a sister in the Society of No Nonsense Contraltos. It's always nice to find a record in my key.

Next, it's Ben Bernie and All The Lads with the big hit of 1933, "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf." The Old Maestro hisself talks the vocal. Dear, dear. "Little Dandy Piggy-Wigs."

jwalls

Vendor
Just picked up a new copy a Robert Johnson anthology. My youngest borrowed the last one, and said he needed it for a music class. Listened to it on the way in this morning. Really Great Stuff.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians - "Keep Smiling At Trouble" (Rec. 1924)

Keep smiling, at trouble,
For trouble's a bubble,
And bubbles will soon float away!

If 'twas never a sadness,
And nothing but gladness,
We'd weary of life in a day...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Haven't you heard (I'm looking for you?" .......or rather Patrice Rushen is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqUOADd-QQ

"My Chum Ninotchka is having a "Studio 54 Party" and I'm trying to psyche myself up with some "Jolly" disco tunes, whilst cutting the cheap wig I purchased at The Goodwill store into an approximation of Andy Warhol's "Hair-dont"

The party starts at midnight, as, apparently that is the time the real Studio 54 opened, its OK for Nintochka with her Finnish ancestry, and "Land of the midnight Sun" attitude, my only problem is staying awake"

liza_andy_bianca_studio54.jpg

Liza, Andy And Bianca

look who is into Fur!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael