Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wish I hadn't left my migraine pills at work last night by --

Starting off in 1938 with Bob Hope and Shirley Ross and "Thanks For The Memory." The edge wore off this song decades ago, but when you listen to this record of it you realize what a great song it really is. Sad and wistful and perfectly performed.

Next, it's 1936 with Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra, and the Three Esquires doing a bit of close harmony on "Got To Go To Work Again." Ain't that the truth.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
4.00pm THE PAST AND THE CURIOUS SERIES 2
Program 2 of 5

here http://www.abc.net.au/classic/

Thank You For Smoking

The sins of the flesh are celebrated in triple-jeopardy fashion this week, with music devoted to the pleasures of drinking (wine and beer on the tab, spirits extra), smoking and what might be called romantic misbehaviour. To act as a corrective to these profoundly adult pastimes, we'll enjoy a trilogy of tunes from everybody's favourite family musical, The Sound of Music, in performances of unusual - nay, even eccentric - interest. And in this week's look at the music of World War II, we'll hear some of the love songs created to service the emotional needs of the moment, in those dark, distant times.
Blane/Martin Love - Sid Ramin and His Orch
LP RCA LSP 1924 "Love is a Swingin' World" (Rec 1959) 2'54

Spencer Cigareets and Whuskey and Wild, Wild Women - Red Ingle & The Natural Seven; The Might and Main Street Choral Society
ASV AJA 5302 CD "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette" (Rec Dec 1947) 2'42

Klenner/Steele/Schaffer Smoke Dreams - Jo Stafford & The Starlighters
ASV AJA 5302 CD "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette" (Rec March 1947) 2'50

Asherrman/Cugat arr Mooney Cuba Libre - Xavier Cugat and His Orch
Mercury SR 60832 CD "Cugi's Cocktails" (Rec 1961) 2'43

George/Charlap I Was Telling Her About You - Joe Williams, voc/arr and conducted by Jimmy Jones
EMI Capital 7243 866900 29 CD "Joe Williams Sings About You/Sentimental & Melancholy" 3'52

Stillman/Mundy Don'cha Go Way Mad - Julie London, voc; Jimmy Rowles and His Orch
Jazztrack CD JT 953 "Julie is Her Name" 2'38

Vallée/Gibbons My Cigarette Lady - Rudy Vallée & His Connecticut Yankees
ASV AJA 5302 CD "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette" (Rec April 1931) 3'31

Dubin/Monaco We Mustn't Say Goodbye - Anne Shelton, voc; Ambrose and His Orch
ASVC AJA 5150 CD Anne Shelton The Early Years (Rec Sept 1943) 3'10

Mercer Dream - Urbie Green, tb/Band
Lonehill Jazz CD LHJ 10308 CD "Urbie Green: The Complete Persuasive Trombone" (Rec Feb 1960) 3'05

Moira and Ted Heath That Lovely Weekend - Dorothy Carless, voc; Geraldo and His Orch
Happy Days CDHD 304 CD "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" (Rec Dec 1941) 3'24

Robin/De Sylva/Whiting Gather Lip Rouge While You May - Joey Nash, voc; Richard Himber and His Orch
ASV AJA 5440 CD "Stars Fell on Alabama" (Rec Oct 1933) 2'41

Conrad/Oakland/Drake The Champagne Waltz - George Melachrino and His Orch Strings
LP RCA LSP 2278 More Music for Relaxation (Rec 1961) 2'18

Van Heusen/de Lange/Norvo A Cigarette and A Silhouette - Mildred Bailey, voc; Red Norvo and His Orch; Hank D'Amico, cl
ASV AJA 5302 CD "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette" (Rec May 1938) 3'04

Rodgers/Hammerstein Climb Every Mountain (bolero/mambo) - Edmundo Ros and His Orch
Dutton Vocalion CDLK 4367 CD "The Sound of Music/Latin Rhythms Deluxe" 2'28

Rodgers/Hammerstein The Sound of Music - Vic Damone, voc; Orch and Singers/Pete King
Capitol CDP 7243 8 28 107 28 CD "Hello Young Lovers: Capitol Sings Rodgers and Hammerstein" (Rec 1964) 3'30

Rodgers arr Shaw Something Good - Ted Heath and his Music
Dutton Vocalion CDLK 4209 CD "Fever!/The Sound of Music" 2'20

Produced and presented by Phillip Sametz

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Love's Serenade, recorded 76 years ago tomorrow by the Mills Blue Rhythm Band.
3980924156_0d5ed2fbe2.jpg

A deliberately Ellingtonian presentation (the BRB was the band Irving Mills booked when Duke was not available), with the characteristic "indigo trio" at the mike in amazing fidelity.
Extravagantly Dukish piano by Edgar Hayes, who also arranged the side, and clarinetist Gene Mikell is heard from in fine Barney Bigard style.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to take the rest of the night off by --

First up, to 1941 with Gene Krupa and his Orchestra, and a smooth "Let's Get Away From It All," with a vocal by Anita O'Day, before she started taking herself too seriously. At some point in its life, someone tried the common-pin-thru-a-dixie-cup method for playing this record.

Next, back to 1937 and another delightfully rickety-tickety Bluebird by Shep Fields and His Rippling Rhythm, with Bob Goday crooning his way thru "Now That Summer Is Gone." A little late there, aren't you bud?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Jack Hylton and His Orchestra playing one of my favourite golden oldies songs - "Night and Day" (Rec. 1933).

Night and Day,
You are the one...

I never thought I'd hear a recording better than Sinatra, but this one comes pretty close...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the builder to show up to replace my caved-in bedroom ceiling by --

Starting off with Alex Bartha and his Hotel Traymore Orchestra with the ultimate Depression song from 1933, as vocalized by Cliff Nazzaro -- "It Must Be Swell To Be Laying Out Dead." Bartha's was a typical territorial band of the time, based in Atlantic City, but he clearly had an -- ah -- unusual sense of humor.

Next, Ted Lewis and his Orchestra in 1930 suggesting that I direct my feet to "The Sunny Side Of The Street." I would, but my shoes are all covered with plaster dust. "Yes, sirrrrr!"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
When Your Telly-Vision Set Comes Home

Pie (better yet, Pye) in the sky from music-haller Norman Long, sending up the BBC's new TV service in 1937.
[youtube]<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZYgKF4zjRYk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZYgKF4zjRYk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Meanwhile over in Denmark...

...singing-dancing sweetie Marguerite Viby was getting 'em all "Hot Hot."
Best if you play both the film clip and the 78 (second link below).

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5tNSWqdNAw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5tNSWqdNAw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"Hot Hot" with Teddy Petersen's Orkester, 1937

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24