Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Still, I think, one of the greatest, albeit largely unheralded guitarists in the world - Phil Keaggy. Right now it's his Freehand album -

51lcj6Z5SQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to celebrate having my ceiling back by --

First up, in 1938, it's Mildred Bailey and her Orchestra with "My Reverie." Not as familiar as the Larry Clinton/Bea Wain version, but a great song exquisitely performed. A very delicate Red Norvo xylophone solo follows the first chorus. Why Mildred doesn't have a modern-day cult built around her is beyond me.

Next, following a commercial for Improved Super Suds (makes 37,000 times its own volume in suds!), it's back to 1932, and Bing's dandy version of a great song I never get tired of, "Let's Put Out The Lights and Go To Sleep." But I just got up!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
two very different performances yesterday-

at a large senior center in Walnut Creek at lunchtime; The Crown Syncopators playing Ragtime

in the evening: the dress rehearsal night of the California Pops Orchestra (they will be performing Sunday 10/11 at 3pm in Los Gatos, CA ). Great music including music of "The High and the Mighty", a medley from the film "Shall We Dance", music of James Bond 007 films, Piano and Strings from the first Pink Panther film plus many others.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Nellie The Elephant

"Nellie the Elephant " on Nostalgia on 6UVS FM radio

The original and most famous version, released on Parlophone R 4219 in October 1956, was recorded by child actress Mandy Miller, with orchestra conducted by Phil Cardew. It was arranged by Ron Goodwin and produced by George Martin. Although never a hit single, it was played countless times on BBC national radio in the UK in the 1950s and 1960s, particularly on "Children's Favourites". where I used to here it on Saturday mornings introduced by "Uncle" Pete Murray

bfi-00n-h8s.jpg

Mandy, with Charlie Chaplin and Phylis Calvert

Mandy is now in her sixties and lives in Italy
The chorus of the song goes:

Nellie the Elephant packed her trunk
And said goodbye to the circus
Off she went with a trumpety-trump
Trump, trump, trump

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It was 78 years ago this Tuesday...

...that one Wonga* Philip Harris, drummer-co-leader at the St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco, put down what I believe is his first recorded vocal chorus of many that remind all of us of "what we like about the south."
[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hrE74K5z5es&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hrE74K5z5es&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/youtube]

*His first name REALLY WAS "Wonga." It's Cherokee for "swift messenger." Hey, it beats "Baloo."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to stand over the stove to try and get warm by --

First up, a blue label Decca from 1938 featuring Woody Herman and his Orchestra, long before they got all outre, with one of the jauntier pop tunes of the year, "I Double Dare You." The band is still basically the remains of the Isham Jones Orchestra, and sounds it.

Next, back to 1930, and Ted Weems and his Orchestra with one of the hits from DeSylva, Brown and Henderson's show "Hold Everything," 'You're The Cream In My Coffee." No half-and-half for these boys.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
meatbox

Eddy Duchin, the thinking person's Guy Lombardo (or maybe the drinking person's Guy Lombardo).
eddyduchin.jpg

Specifically, I See Two Lovers and I Just Couldn't Take It Baby, two 78 sides from 1934 that I haven't played in quite a while. Good practice in lyrical tenor sax playing and singing, which is why I enjoyed them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to rouse from a torpor by --

Starting off with another great early Mills Brothers Brunswick, "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got A Swing." "No Musical Instruments or Mechanical Devices Used On This Record Other Than One Guitar."

Next up, Bing teams with Jimmie Grier and his Orchestra for the tune that unfortunately got pushed out the side door in "Gold Diggers of 1933," "I've Got To Sing A Torch Song."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24