Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Inca Step (1934)

by Carlos Valderrama, played by Louis Katzman's Orchestra
click to download

Valderrama was a Peruvian pianist and the composer of many pieces inspired by his country's native musics. Katzman was a prominent conductor in radio and the theatre, and a popular recording artist in the '20s.
This is a very early example of what is latterly called Exotica - the genre of pop-flavored world music that only really started post-WW2.
In 1934 there was no name for it but "Novelty Instrumental." Not "Latin" in rhythm, it's more of a shuffle. Imagine climbing Machu Picchu by burro, but with bass clarinet instead of wood blocks.

From http://musicyouwont.blogspot.com/

jwalls

Vendor
Since my son found an old turntable and we restored it I've been listening to Dad's old Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Art Tatum, and Dorsey Brothers 78's. Great music, by great musicians, is timelessly classic.:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Strictly for export - 1933

Swing It and Six Bells Stampede, Benny Carter and His Orchestra
Benny%20Carter.jpg

You can't always have what you want when, or where, you want it.
We wouldn't have this at all if it hadn't been for English Columbia record releases. Over here, really swinging music was neither fish nor fowl in 1933 - both out of style and too modern.
And we'd quit buying records of any music. The British, a little behind the times I suppose, were still doing it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to grudgingly realize I have no choice but to turn the heat on by --

First up, it's Irving Aaronson and his Commanders in 1928, with Irene Bordoni ooh-la-la-ing her way thru "Let's Misbehave." Hey, turning the furnace on before November is misbehavior enough for me, thanks.

Next, ahead to 1941 with Freddy Martin and his Orchestra and away we go with the "Hut-sut-rawson-in-a-rillaraw-and-a-brawla-brawla-soo-it." And I'll be singing that the rest of the day, I fear.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Listening to my Fats Waller collection.

Current track:

Fats Waller and His Rhythm - "Nagasaki".

Hot ginger and dynamite, that's all there is at night,
Back in Nagasaki where the fellahs chew tabaccy,
And the women whicky-whacky-whooooooo!..

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to slowly thaw out by --

First up, Kay Kyser and his Orchestra in 1939, with Sassy Sully Mason describing the menu at the "Tennessee Fish Fry." I'm hungry. Nice hot solo by Ish Kabibble, too.

Next, the man with the patent leather lungs himself, Harry Richman, in 1930 with his bellowing rendition of "Exactly Like You." I'd love to have seen him and Jolson locked in a room together. Maybe Georgie Jessel could take on the winner.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
three keys to happiness

4019652833_c8865efa94.jpg
The Three Keys, ca. 1932.
This briefly popular trio gave out a friendly, infectious blend of harmony and patter.
Unfortunately they came along at a bad time - right after the Mills Brothers and right before the Spirits of Rhythm - and their sound was, to put it bluntly, not gimmicky enough to catch on in the way those groups did.
Bon Bon Tunnell (l), lead singer, later made quite a name for himself with Jan Savitt & the Top Hatters.

Listen to Jig Time, 1932 – Wah Dee Dah, 1932 – That Doggone Dog of Mine, 1933.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the cat to get off my kitchen table so I can have lunch by --

Now playing, Johnny Marvin with Nat Shilkret and the Victor Orchestra in 1929 with a perfectly ducky arrangement of "Tip Toe Thru The Tulips With Me," featuring a great sandpaper-block-soft-shoe solo. Vaudeville lives!

Next, moving on to 1935 with Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra, and Ramona growling out "Now I'm A Lady." And if anybody doubts it, she'll break her grand piano over your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot