Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
ahead to 1935 with Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra picking up a juicy paycheck with their hit recording of the pop tune "Accent On Youth," from the film of the same name. No vocal, but a tenor sax solo by Ben Webster will do in its place.
I think you'll find that's an alto and played by Johnny Hodges, but yes, it was during Webster's first cup-o-coffee with the Duke - I think just the one session.

Also recommended are renditions by Orville Knapp's "Music of a Week Ago Thursday" on Decca (you will believe a tuba and a steel guitar belong on the same bandstand), and Paul Pendarvis on the Unobtanium Columbia label.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Fletch said:
I

Also recommended are renditions by Orville Knapp's "Music of a Week Ago Thursday" on Decca (you will believe a tuba and a steel guitar belong on the same bandstand).

I believe! Jimmie Rodgers!

Edit::eek: Who NEVER recorded with Tuba and Steel at the same time! Roy Smeck, Cliff Carlisle, Anybody? Help...:eusa_doh:

kools

Practically Family
Last 5
Mood Indigo-Clyde McCoy
If You Can't Smile And Say Yes-King Cole Trio live in Milwaukee
Star Dust-Duke Ellington live at Fargo 1940
Pretty Thing-Bo Diddley
Shoo Shoo Baby-Golden Gate Quartet

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to be very thankful it finally stopped snowing by --

Starting off with Ray Noble and his Orchestra, the Miller-built American edition, and a smooth 1935 rendition of "Top Hat, White Tie and Tails," as vocalized by Al Bowlly and The Freshmen. Lookin' sharp, "just like that guy from Wales."

Next, The Dancing Music of Veloz and Yolanda, directed by George Harris, and the hit tune from "Gold Diggers of 1937," "Plenty of Money and You." It's the root of all evil, of strife and upheaval...

kools

Practically Family
Last 5
Gonna Bring My Baby Back-Rufus Thomas
Scrub, Sweep and Mop-Jack McVea
How Long Blues-T-Bone Walker
You Didn't Want My Love-The Nic Nacs
Bad Boy-Floyd Jones & Eddie Taylor

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
USAAFAcePilot said:
Will Bradley and His Orchestra with Ray McKinley
"Beat Me Daddy,Eight to the Bar"

Everybody who's never heard it ought to hear it AT LEAST once!

LOVE this song! You can't help but dance to it!

I'm baking cupcakes with my daughter and listening to the greatest hits of Nat King Cole. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder if there's enough caffiene in the world to wake me up --

Starting out with Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra in 1934, with Ramona declaring optimistically "We're Out Of The Red." Obviously she hasn't seen my bank statement.

Next, sticking in '34 with Richard Himber and his Ritz-Carlton Orchestra and Joey Nash engaging in wild speculation to the tune of "If I Had A Million Dollars." Which reminds me, I haven't checked my lottery ticket yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy