Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

just_me

Practically Family
Drop Dead, My Lovely by Ellis Weiner. It was recommended here on another thread. Really enjoyable. I'll read the next one (The Big Boat to Bye Bye) after I finish this one.

Chas

One Too Many
Taking a second run at "In Search Of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust. I keep getting distracted. It will also be applicable to the Intro to Psychotherapy Course I am taking this winter.

Sunny

One Too Many
I finished Margery Allingham's Tiger in the Smoke over the weekend. As a slight change of pace, I picked up A. Merritt's The Face in the Abyss yesterday; reading it for, I think, the third time in a year.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Harp said:
John:

Saw AB on a bookshelf yesterday, but was really looking for
Middlemarch. Then I walked out with Schopaneuer....:eek:

Have been reading a bio on Simone Weil, which examines the
circumstance of her illness and death; leaving open the possibility
of suicide.:( I've never been so intrigued by a philosopher.

Harp,
I am almost through Adam Bede and am enjoying it enought to consider pursuing Middlemarch. I did take a detour to read Soul Making: the Desert way of Spirituality by Alan Jones. In this book the author touches--albeit very briefly--on some comparisons to Simone Weil and Soren Kierkegaard; this done while evaluating the psychology of the Desert Fathers. I am not well read on Kierkegaard. Soul Making has, however, peaked my interest to dip into Kierkegaard and read more deeply on Simone Weil. Incidentally, I have been keeping a list of your book recommendations on Simone Weil; she is obviously a great mind. John

Haversack

One Too Many
I'm currently in the middle of George MacDonald Fraser's last published book, The Reavers. Its rather like The Candlemass Road meets The Pyrates. The modern anachronisms are a bit overused. However if one has an ear for the Cumbrian and Kelvinside dialects and a passing acquaintance with Border history, it is quite fun.

Alas though, for we shall never learn how Harry earned the San Serafino Order of Purity and Truth, Fourth Class.

Haversack.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Wallis & Edward" letters 1931-1937 by Michael bloch 1986

The guilty pleasure of reading the intimate correspondence of of Mrs Wallis Simpson who married the Duke of Windsor.

I found this as a paperback in a second hand book store and i'm loving it. especialy after watching the DVD "Wallis and Edward" recently released by BBC TV in the UK:eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
I just started Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield. This novel is based on the exploits of the Long Range Desert Group during WWII and an effort to kill German Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox. Forty-three pages in and our main character is barely beginnning his military service. So far there has been an engaging recounting of his days as a schoolboy and university man prior to Britain's entry into WWII. This promises to be an enjoyable read.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Mr. Jefferson's WOMEN, by Jon Kukla...TJ was quite the intellectual, although not all that successful with the ladies-free ladies anyways, it seems.

Songbird

New in Town
Bambi by Marjorie Benton Cooke (1914), if you can find a copy this is a wonderful book! My absolute favorite in fact. The exaggerations of the characters and the delightful banter between them is utterly charming, I can't help but read passages aloud to my sisters every now and then just to feel the words out in my mouth ^^ The first chapter itself is worthy of an award - I couldn't stop laughing the first time I read it, the wit is so fresh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran