Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A classic revisited, The Stock Market by Richard Teweles.
This 7th edition is most timely.
I read his other market work, The Futures Game during college,
and later in law school landed a graveyard shift job with a commodity
brokerage largely because I mentioned while interviewed
that I had read Teweles.

Also, back to Wm Buckley's God and Man at Yale.
...and Never Put Ketchup on a Hot Dog by Bob Schwartz.
All about dawgs in Chicago. A classic. :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Marzipan said:
I'm on a Daphne du Maurier kick. I just read "The Parasites" and "The Scapegoat." Now I'm reading "My Cousin Rachel."

I'm also infatuated with Irene Nemirovsky's work. There's nothing like a first liner that simply sucks you into a world you just know will give you the chills.

Try "The House On The Strand" sometime by Daphne. It's superb.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
randooch said:
Try "The House On The Strand" sometime by Daphne. It's superb.

Ooh, thanks. I have that one on my bookshelf and will read it as soon as I finish all of her previous ones. I'm so in loooove. :)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
A shared literary state, and I'm equally fascinated with the author herself.

I picked up a book of short stories and was immediately sucked in. Do you find her Jewish characters to be caricatures? It seems she had a lot of internal struggles going on about her Jewishness and her demise was so sad... and ironic if so.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I just started diving into "Five Families" by Selwyn Raab. I'm always inside some M
smilie_gangster.gif
B book.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about something quite vintage with hints of occidentalism:

Edwardes, Allen. The Jewel in the Lotus. New York: The Julian Press, Inc. 1959

Quite interesting, if not a bit prurient. However, worth a read if you're interested in the "Orient".

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I just started Baltimore Blues, which is the first in Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan detective series. I liked her writing on What the Dead Know and Every Secret Thing, so decided to try a new woman detective series.

karol

Sunny

One Too Many
Finished the Mr. Moto books, so I'm restarting on Margery Allingham's Albert Campion series. Currently I'm in Police at the Funeral.

I'll take a break after I finish that (and my tax accounting test is over :eusa_doh: ) and read some James Oliver Curwood. This is old vintage, 1900s-1920s, mostly set in far North America. A bit heavy on the melodrama at times, but vivid and interesting and a good bit of action; stuff happens. I won about 10 on ebay last week, most of which I've read on Gutenberg, but there are a couple ones new to me. I'm looking forward to them.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Marzipan said:
I picked up a book of short stories... Do you find her Jewish characters to be caricatures?...

No more than James Joyce's characters were Celtic caricks;
excepting the Christian Brothers of Ireland and Jesuits
(personal tenure with both orders). Joyce had them pegged.
However, Joyce became something of a carick himself; while
Irene N reads true to herself, and her tragic death bequeathed
an elegiac tone to her work that other more reknowned lit lacks.
Gonna read through her canon this summer.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I just started re-reading several Evelyn Waugh novels. Unfortunately, I cannot find my copy of Decline and Fall so I am starting with Vile Bodies.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Reading two right now.

Drink: A Social History of America by Andrew Barr it's a rather interesting tale of how alcohol has affected America from Christopher Columbus to present day.

The other is Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry it's one of the Star Wars expanded novels about the building of the Death Star.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Just reread A Christmas Carol by Dickens, what a treat. I think I'm going to dig out the copy with George C Scott or Patrick Stewart and watch one of 'em tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran