Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Jose Saramago

My longtime favorite has a new one out, Death With Interruptions He's an acquired taste, or so I understand, but I cottoned to him after the first paragraph of the first book I tried, Baltasar and Blimunda. Margaret Jull Costa is still his translator, and a fine job she does.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Harp said:
...he ate in town nearly every day of his Walden spell. :)
Yes, I agree totally! "Walden" is such a scam. It is literally a five minute walk from Walden Pond to the center of Concord and it was hardly isolated.

I'm not saying he isn't brilliant; he is staggeringly so, but it is a total scam that he isolated himself.

Has anyone read "The Dante Club?" I enjoyed it very much. I like books like this; "The Alienist," "The Poe Shadow," and even "The Black Tower."

Does anyone know of any others?

dutton

New in Town
I just finished up American Lightning: Terror, Mystery, Movie-making, and the Crime of the Century by Howard Blum. It's the story of the bombing of the LA Times, the fight between Union Labor and Industry in the 1910s and the subsequent investigation William Burns and defense by Clarence Darrow. I highly recommend the book.

Another book I just read was Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I don't think that book needs any introduction.

Also, this is my first post here at FL. I hope this makes for an appropriate first.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
...Has anyone read "The Dante Club?" I enjoyed it very much. I like books like this; "The Alienist," "The Poe Shadow," and even "The Black Tower."

Does anyone know of any others?[/QUOTE]

Hemingway,

This is an excellent selection of books. I do recall having read and enjoyed The Dante Club many years ago. These others look very appealing; I will add them to my list. A few suggestions, of my own, that might fit into this category are: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Rieverte and The Dream of Scipio by Ian Pears. They are all intellectually stimulating mysteries with a "literary-type" plot or theme. John

Cricket

Practically Family
I just wrapped up The Postman Always Rings Twice.
I really enjoyed it. It made me want to put the movie in for a watch.

I am currently reading They Shoot Horses Don't They?
I am really enjoying it. I have a gut feeling that something horrible is going to happen to Gloria, but I'm not sure just yet. I will have to continue reading.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Yes, I agree totally! "Walden" is such a scam. It is literally a five minute walk from Walden Pond to the center of Concord and it was hardly isolated.
I'm not saying he isn't brilliant; he is staggeringly so, but it is a total scam that he isolated himself.

I only jest as Thoreau isolated himself more within himself at Walden
rather than merely distancing himself physically from others; juxtaposed
iconoclast, poet, and scholar, so Walden read in this context
frames Thoreau more philosophically, and accounts his literary status. :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Harp said:
I only jest as Thoreau isolated himself more within himself at Walden
rather than merely distancing himself physically from others; juxtaposed
iconoclast, poet, and scholar, so Walden read in this context
frames Thoreau more philosophically, and accounts his literary status. :)
Oh, I write with a tongue firmly planted in my cheek as well, but still, his act of isolation was the equivalent of camping in his mom's back yard.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Oh, I write with a tongue firmly planted in my cheek as well, but still, his act of isolation was the equivalent of camping in his mom's back yard.

Harvard Yard turns crimson with shame....;)

Cricket

Practically Family
Just finished They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
I loved it!! And my hunch was right.

Started Thieves Like Us last night. It is getting colder here so I really enjoy curling up in bed before I turn out the light and reading a good book. My husband is usually up on the other side reading his book too. And of course the son is between us, snoozing away. I must admit, it's the good life. :)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I'm on a Daphne du Maurier kick. I just read "The Parasites" and "The Scapegoat." Now I'm reading "My Cousin Rachel."

I'm also infatuated with Irene Nemirovsky's work. There's nothing like a first liner that simply sucks you into a world you just know will give you the chills.

Sunny

One Too Many
I'm re-reading the Mr. Moto books currently. I'm nearly finished with Mr. Moto Is So Sorry. Fascinating books both as suspense adventures in their own right, and as pictures of the political situation and atmosphere in China and Japan in the late 1930s.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I just completed The Duty of Delight; the Diaries of Dorthy Day by Robert Ellsberg. While I find her lack of trust and/or uninterest in government somewhat inconsistent with the "political" figures she chose to embrace, I, nonetheless, have great admiration for her deep faith in God and concern for the World and Humanity. Her diaries indicate that all three were, admirably, a daily theme. John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran