Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm reading 'Conflict Resolution Skills for the Middle School Student', 'I Am Already Succussful: Activities to Develop Motivation and Self Esteem in the Middle School Student' for work and 'On Beauty' for personal reading.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good Choice.

LadyStardust said:
I've just started a volume entitled Theodore Rex, about our greatest President, Teddy Roosevelt! In my opinion at least.
Edmund Morris' book; I rather liked it. Though you'll probably remember, Morris got into trouble a few years back with Dutch his "history" of Ronald Reagan as told by the point of view of a fictionalized character.

His history of TR is much more straightforward. -I would say, thank God. It is a series; a multi-volume biography. I wonder when the next installment in due?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Edmund Morris' book; I rather liked it. Though you'll probably remember, Morris got into trouble a few years back with Dutch his "history" of Ronald Reagan as told by the point of view of a fictionalized character.

His history of TR is much more straightforward. -I would say, thank God. It is a series; a multi-volume biography. I wonder when the next installment in due?

....after Morris' mea culpa, I couldn't read Theodore Rex. :(

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
finished this sci-fi book a few months ago
OldMansWar
its very much in the realm of Heinlein's StarshipTroopers, or Haldeman's ForeverWar.

My mom got curious as to why i was reading it so intently. She found it interesting that its a story about retirees living a second life....instead of teenage soldiers finding themselves.

http://www.scalzi.com/books/2005/11/old_mans_war.html

Cover Blurbage: John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army. The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce - and aliens willing to fight for them are common. The universe, it turns out, is a hostile place.

Sunny

One Too Many
Over Christmas break I indulged in a great deal of Leigh Brackett. Then I began on a lot of The Saint books, by Leslie Charteris. The omnibus I'm currently reading is adding a lot of classic-styled Saintliness to this first work week of the new year. ;)

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I recently discovered a British author Edmund Crispin. He wrote a series of English Village mysteries featuring an excentric Oxford Don named Gervaise Fen. These stories are set in the late 1930's and combine excellent plots with a dab of humor thrown into the mystery. Sadly, I am just now finishing the last in the series.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
When the Bough Breaks, Jonathon Kellerman.

Giving some pop-stuff a shot. So far, eh, but there was a TV movie adaptation starring Ted Danson! Score.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
52Styleline said:
I recently discovered a British author Edmund Crispin. He wrote a series of English Village mysteries featuring an excentric Oxford Don named Gervaise Fen. These stories are set in the late 1930's and combine excellent plots with a dab of humor thrown into the mystery. Sadly, I am just now finishing the last in the series.
"Oh, my paws and whiskers!"

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Just finished a book called "The Widow of the South" bu Robert Hicks and starting my Christmas present - "An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears. Really good so far - the back calls it Agatha Christie combined with Umberto Eco so I'm interested to see how the story pans out. My mum bought it for me as she was so engrossed by it she absolutely had to buy it for me. Apparently the rest of his books aren't very good though, funny how that happens.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Just started "Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn. Very good albeit bizarre. Three people (from three different parts of my life) told me it was their favorite book--how could I not resist reading it?

So far, it doesn't dissappoint.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
How good it has been (and still is), having a bit of time for reading during the holidays! Recently I finished The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (a fine novel, but with one or two weak points) and right now I´m reading Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) and Dracula :eek: (Bram Stoker) - the English originals, of course. I love both already.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Polyhistor said:
How good it has been (and still is), having a bit of time for reading during the holidays! Recently I finished The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (a fine novel, but with one or two weak points) and right now I´m reading Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) and Dracula :eek: (Bram Stoker) - the English originals, of course. I love both already.

Ah, yes. I forgot--I've been listening to an audio recording of Dracula (via LibriVox) at work. Good way to get reading done while doing mindless busy-work, and, sad to say, it's how most of my reading has gotten done over the last few months.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:
Just started "Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn. Very good albeit bizarre. Three people (from three different parts of my life) told me it was their favorite book--how could I not resist reading it?

So far, it doesn't dissappoint.

It's one of my favourites too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic