Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I love the Irish campi/scholastic scene. Heard Martin Sheen recently went
to Cork for a belated baccalaureate. Considered a relocate to Ireland last
year, but rejected it at the time as impractical. :(

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Aw that's too bad, I may have to reject it based on financing, 30 000 for one year of study, true I have three years to save, but I always end up finding other things, textbooks, my puppy, my ever growing art collection.:mad:

You'd think I'd prioritze a little:(
My mum's side is Irish, so I think it'd be neat to see it.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
No I haven't though about a US prep school, I was born near Atlanta, and have citizenship, but it never crossed my mind.

The plan was to do a one year post degree masters of Ed, in Cork and then stay and teach.

And as far as Monet, I'll happily observe his work, but I stick to collecting Canadian Paintings and Wood work, some Ceramics too.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
That sounds good. How are the Irish with dual citizenship issues?
I had thought that my being a Yank would prove problematic...:(

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I'm not too sure, I've been looking around, and if you have a grandparent who was born there you can apply so long as you have documentation. But I've also been told to try even if you can trace your lineage back in Ireland regardless of wether or not a grandparent was born there.

There's the citizen by naturalization, where you have to live there for a certain length of time, and swear alligience to the country etc.

Citizenship through marriage.... that one's obviouslol

That's about all I've found out so far, next I'm working on dog immigration lawslol

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
I,m reading One square mile of hell(the battle for Tarawa) by John Wukovits;
very interesting read with alot of personal accounts of the 2nd Marine division and crack Japanese army and navy defenders in what was considerd a cakewalk by the Allies, turned into a 3 day slugfest for a island no bigger than Central Park.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Ahhh the things we fight for....
Let me know how it is when you finish it please, I'm always looking for books , but have very little time with which to read them, so I always wanna make sure they're great.

S

Samsa

"Constitutional Law" by Stone, Seidman, Sunstein, Tushnet, and Karlan.

Bleh.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Samsa said:
"Constitutional Law" by Stone, Seidman, Sunstein, Tushnet, and Karlan.

Bleh.

...recall what Gladstone said: "The American Constitution is the greatest
work struck by the mind of man."
:)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"Then, the former constitutional prof Bill Clinton: "It depends on what is, is...."
Hmm...sounds like a bit from the book I'm reading right now;"Existentialism and Human emotions" by Jean-Paul Sartre. A philosophical sort of president...:)

Also on the table right now is Donald Richie's "Japan Journals" which covers roughly 1947 (as a writer of "human interest" pieces for the Army) through about 2000. An interesting account of the ways that Japan has changed from the occupation to now and is filled with first hand accounts of many important artists from Japan and elsewhere (Kurosawa,Ozu,Mishima,Spender,Stravinsky,etc.)

Right now I'm looking for a nice old paperback copy of Len Deighton's The Ipcress File to read. I much prefer Harry Palmer to James Bond. Anyone read Deighton care to give an opinion?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sefton said:
"Then, the former constitutional prof Bill Clinton: "It depends on what is, is...."
Hmm...sounds like a bit from the book I'm reading right now;"Existentialism and Human emotions" by Jean-Paul Sartre. A philosophical sort of president...:)

An interesting account of the ways that Japan has changed from the occupation to now and is filled with first hand accounts of many important artists from Japan and elsewhere (Kurosawa,Ozu,Mishima,Spender,Stravinsky,etc.)

Sartre's existential Critique of Dialectical Reason failed to
reconcile his philosophic view with communism-a system antithetical
to innate human nature. Sartre's position is most tenuous.

Mishima, a complication. :(

Steve

Practically Family
Right now I'm working through quite a few books:

The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper
For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
Digging for the Truth, by Josh Bernstein
The Man in the Iron Mask, by Alexandre Dumas

Coupled with my history and science textbooks, I stay very busy with reading these days.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Steve said:
Right now I'm working through quite a few books:

The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper
For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
Digging for the Truth, by Josh Bernstein
The Man in the Iron Mask, by Alexandre Dumas

Coupled with my history and science textbooks, I stay very busy with reading these days.

Great Books!
(Gary Cooper starred in For Whom The Bell Tolls, wore an Irvin
jacket and fedora with a Browning Automatic Rifle---a great pix is over
in the Hat forum....)
Dumas employed a number of writers, so his own work is open to
speculation, but Mask is a great story. Have fun!
:)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Harp said:
I love the Irish campi/scholastic scene. Heard Martin Sheen recently went
to Cork for a belated baccalaureate. Considered a relocate to Ireland last
year, but rejected it at the time as impractical. :(

Martin Sheen goes to my Uni! I've seen him around once or twice, and considered greeting him with a handshake and a huge 'HOWYA MARTY!' in my best OTT Irish accent but didn't have the guts. Sigh. Oh well! :D

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
I'm not too sure, I've been looking around, and if you have a grandparent who was born there you can apply so long as you have documentation. But I've also been told to try even if you can trace your lineage back in Ireland regardless of wether or not a grandparent was born there.

There's the citizen by naturalization, where you have to live there for a certain length of time, and swear alligience to the country etc.

Citizenship through marriage.... that one's obviouslol

That's about all I've found out so far, next I'm working on dog immigration lawslol

I know the new law is that one parent has to have been born in the country... but I think that's if you want to be an Irish citizen, and was introduced to control immigration issues. Before that, we'd give citizenship to anyone who had even an Irish sounding name!lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
Martin Sheen goes to my Uni! I've seen him around once or twice, and considered greeting him with a handshake and a huge 'HOWYA MARTY!' in my best OTT Irish accent but didn't have the guts. Sigh. Oh well! :D

...Next time you see him say hello! :)

What is your scholastic field?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic