Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Currently reading The Caliph's House by Tahir Shah, a delightful little book. This weekend I'll probably be starting Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, which I've been meaning to read for quite some time.

Bloody Jinn have been playing havoc with my trying to post this message.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Having finished Vagabond, I'm now reading Heretic by Bernard Cornwell, third and last novel in the Grail Quest series (for those not familiar with these books, Bernard Cornwell is the author of the Sharpe series of novels, made into a tv series starring Sean Bean).

davidraphael

Practically Family
The Merchant in Medieval Europe by Peter Spufford. It's mainly for research purposes.

I'm also revisiting Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales - a modern prose version by David Wright.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Touchofevil said:
If you are in to vintage espionage, Eric Ambler is a great choice. Discovered him when Black Lizard/ Vintage Crime rereleased his stuff a number of years back.

You know, I've thought about Ambler a couple of times. Thanks for the tip!

Just finished "Rick Nelson, Idol For A Generation." Had no idea of the ups and downs he experienced, many of them brought on by himself. Had some great songs, though.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Just started reading The Lady in the Lake, my fourth Chandler novel (in order). I think that I'm going to like it better than The High Window...maybe.

Yes, I did actually like Lady better. I have about 25 pages to go in The Little Sister, and I think I like that one even better than Lady (even though Chandler's premise--that mid-Westerners lost their values when they came to S. California, and therefore greatly contributed to the low morals/crime present in the region--is not viable)...

WH1

Practically Family
I was fortunate to find a copy of "By Their Works Ye Shall Know Them, The Life and Ships of William Francis Gibbs" by Frank O. Braynard.

It is a tribute biography of perhaps the most innovative and influential naval architect in US history. He was the designer of such liners as The America, the United States, fast destroyers for the navy in WW2 and after, and a major player in the conversion of the US battle fleet to nuclear power.

The book was released in 1968 and was a limited run of 2,000 copies. Found it on a bargain bin cart at Barnes and Noble. It is full of great pictures and lots of information. I was vaguely aware of Gibbs but wow he and his company did so much for US maritime interests. Most amazing was the fact he had degrees from Harvard and Columbia in Law, no formal training in Naval Architecture and engineering but what a visionary.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
I was fortunate to find a copy of "By Their Works Ye Shall Know Them, The Life and Ships of William Francis Gibbs" by Frank O. Braynard.

It is a tribute biography of perhaps the most innovative and influential naval architect in US history. He was the designer of such liners as The America, the United States, fast destroyers for the navy in WW2 and after, and a major player in the conversion of the US battle fleet to nuclear power.

The book was released in 1968 and was a limited run of 2,000 copies. Found it on a bargain bin cart at Barnes and Noble. It is full of great pictures and lots of information. I was vaguely aware of Gibbs but wow he and his company did so much for US maritime interests. Most amazing was the fact he had degrees from Harvard and Columbia in Law, no formal training in Naval Architecture and engineering but what a visionary.

Only 2,000 copies, and you found one? Excellent! Impressed by the fact that he had no formal training in those fields. :eek:fftopic:...Reminds me of George Wyman, the architect of the famous Bradbury Building in downtown L.A.; he was a draftsman with no real previous experience, and yet designed what is now considered an architectural landmark.

opalfcm

New in Town
Hello everyone. What I am reading.

I always enjoy a good biography. Today I am reading the Hemingway bio and an especially good book, not a biography, The Disappearance of the Universe by Gary R. Renard.
I so enjoy reading the posts and getting new ideas. Happy reading from this Southern gal!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner