Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

The False Inspector Dew (1982) by Peter Lovesey
(New York: Soho Press, 2001)

From the back cover:

The year is 1921. A passionate affair between a romantic young woman and her dentist leads them to plot his wife's murder. They are inspired by the recent real life case of Dr. Crippen so, when the wife decides to sail on the Mauretania, the dentist books his passage in the name of the policeman who brought Crippen to justice, Inspector Dew. And a murder takes place.

Corto

A-List Customer
I made it about halfway through John Dos Passos' "Manhattan Transfer"- I don't think I can keep going, but it was good for a while! If you like Depression-era drama in the Big Apple, this one's for you...

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I'm reading David Bianculli's Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Fascinating because he contextualizes everything that happened. Great read, too.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Yes, I did actually like Lady better. I have about 25 pages to go in The Little Sister, and I think I like that one even better than Lady (even though Chandler's premise--that mid-Westerners lost their values when they came to S. California, and therefore greatly contributed to the low morals/crime present in the region--is not viable)...

The Little Sister was just as complicated as The Big Sleep, and a great read. My third favorite Marlowe novel so far. Dolores Martinez...what a femme fatal.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
CitizenGenet said:
On Killing by Dave Grossman. I'd rank it as one of the most important books I've yet read.

very much so.

right now i'm reading "Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell. loving the descriptions of the kitchen in "Hotel X".

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I started this awhile back but just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. Quite frankly one of the most absorbing and moving books I have ever, ever read. Sheer brilliance and I'd recommend this to everyone.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
I started this awhile back but just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. Quite frankly one of the most absorbing and moving books I have ever, ever read. Sheer brilliance and I'd recommend this to everyone.
That's a great book, I also loved the Kite Runner (and the film was fantastic too).

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Just finished "The Strenuous Life: Theodore Roosevelt."

Started a copy of what was supposed to be "The Divine Comedy" by Dante, and it was a textbook and not the original, so it goes back to the library.

Instead, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Katzenjammer said:
Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler. I'm only four pages in and all that great Marlowe-speak has me hooked.

It is so far my favorite Chandler novel. (Love the movie adapt, Murder My Sweet, too.)

Still reading the Bela Lugosi biography (it is packed with facts), and recently started Walden Robert (Bobby Darin) Cassotto's bio.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Rocketblast said:
That's a great book, I also loved the Kite Runner (and the film was fantastic too).

"The Kite Runner" is on my must read list now as well.

I think "A Thousand Splendid Suns" might haunt me for some time.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
I think "A Thousand Splendid Suns" might haunt me for some time.

Ever read Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran?

More hopeful than haunting, a good tale of how literature can pierce the veil between Occident and Orient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24