Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Anyone here like his writings? I'm rereading "The History of the Siege of Lisbon" right now. He up and died last July, and there's a posthumous work out there, too, but I can't find a copy to buy yet.

He's a great chronicler of human frailty and strength, and his style either aggravates or pleases, reader depending: very little use of punctuation.

He aggravates; however, I will always admire the man despite his personal views. RIP :(

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Black Dahlia said:
I'm reading a few books right now:

Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond, by Hanz Holzer.

And the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe (ah, again.)

Holzer's book on Washington DC ghosts is a good read.

Poe is one of my favorite poets. He dedicated The Raven to Elizabeth Barrett Browning
and their correspondence regarding such offer a slight glimpse inside the lives of Poetry. :)

Edward

Bartender
Just finished Blood and Ice, a vampire yearn that switches between the present day and the Crimean War. I enjoyed it very much.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
Holzer's book on Washington DC ghosts is a good read.

Poe is one of my favorite poets. He dedicated The Raven to Elizabeth Barrett Browning
and their correspondence regarding such offer a slight glimpse inside the lives of Poetry. :)

So far, that's the only book of Holzer's I've read. Really enjoyed 'Will Storr vs. the Supernatural' *lol* Read that one?

Me too, Poe is an amazing poet and short story writer. Long, long before Sherlock Holmes there was Auguste Dupin!
X
BD

Corto

A-List Customer
Harp said:
--------------------------------
1974-75?
Saigon fell in 1975. :(

True, but I'll bet the title was probably referring to the pullout of major American ground forces in 1973. Cold comfort to the families of the Marine KIA/MIA's in the Mayaguez incident, but I'm sure the major pullout is where Stanton is ending his timeline.

Corto

A-List Customer
sh2.jpg

I'm reading "Sparrowhawk Book One: Jack Frake" by Edward Cline.

It's a polemic on free market capitalism cleverly disguised as an adventure story starring a young (and incredibly politically astute) 10 year old boy in mid-18th century England. I can't say I agree with all of the ideas that Cline is pushing, but it's a gripping, funny (in a way) and exciting read. Didn't think I'd like it, but I will admit it's intellectually stimulating and provides enough action to distract me from my daily cares.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Monster Hunter:Vendetta (WooooHoooo!! :D )

The Dresden Files - Just finished "Dead Beat" I haven't read any fantasy in quite awhile but I picked up Jim Butcher's first "Alera" book and am going to give that a try.

My usual plethora of magazines.

Sunny

One Too Many
DesertDan said:
Monster Hunter:Vendetta (WooooHoooo!! :D )

AARRGGGHHH! Amazon didn't ship my preorder until yesterday! It's supposed to get here tomorrow. I'm practically haunting the tracking page. :eek:

Sunny

One Too Many
Heh, I read those two weeks ago. And the whole reason I got MHI was stumbling across the first chapters for that one a month ago! I've re-read it twice since then. :p

Sunny, if I'm not under a Burn Notice you've got a PM with supplemental info about MHI and the author's blog, and a project he and I have been working together on (okay, I'm doing the real work, but the amount of information he's fed me to help refine it means a "co-credit" in my book).

Current read: Barrett Tillman, TBD Devastator Units of the US Navy. Another one from Osprey's "Combat Aircraft" series, which I've yet to see a disappointing volume from...

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Currently reading the latest in the Jade series, The Crocodile's Last Embrace by Suzanne Arruda.

Also reading Wheels of Fire by Terence Strong, a fictional story of British/UN forces in Bosnia.

For the weirdness factor, Hidden Realms, Lost Civilizations and Beings From Other Worlds by Jerome Clark.

Only 2,694 books to go! lol

davidraphael

Practically Family
86'd by Dan Fante.

86d.jpg

He's the son of John Fante. You haven't read 30's LA fiction until you've read John Fante. His most famous work was Ask The Dust, but there are some great classic in his oeuvre - Dago Red, 1933 was a Bad Year, The Road to Los Angeles, Brotherhood of the Grape and others.

n227186.jpg

n227187.jpg

n227174.jpg

Diamondback said:
Current read: Barrett Tillman, TBD Devastator Units of the US Navy. Another one from Osprey's "Combat Aircraft" series, which I've yet to see a disappointing volume from...

I heartily agree. TBD Devastator Units of the US Navy is one of the best volumes from the Osprey series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21