Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Dan'l

Practically Family
Currently reading Suzanne Valadon the Misstress of Montemarte by June Rose.

She was a young model for Renoir and other French artists. Somewhere around middle-age she began producing her own artwork that caught the attetion of Degas and others. So far a very good read. She was a beautiful but tragic soul it seems.
I love art and art history, especially the impressionists.

martinsantos

Practically Family
"Woman in the Dark", by Dashiell Hammett.

Hammett is one of my preferred writers... One of the very few "detective stories" you can read, read and read again. He writes much more than a simple "murder story". But this little novel doesn't have all that punch... Looks like he wrote quickly and didn't revised the text.

A Handbook of Popular Antiques
by Katharine Morrison McClinton
(New York: Bonanza Books, 1945)

Somebody back in 1945 must have anticipated present-day Loungers for the Foreword says the following...

"A hundred years from now someone will be collecting ration books, cigarette cases, comic strips, face-powder compacts, amateur kodachromes. These and many other convenient gadgets that are commonplaces to us today will be more than curiosities to the collector of the future. They will be, in their small way, a part of human history. They will be the tangible record of various aspects of everyday living which we now take for granted -- little customs and habits and passing vogues which seem so unimportant that they will never get into the history books, but which are nevertheless a quite essential part of life in America in the 1940s."

Berlin said:
I am reading a book written by a close friend of Nicole Brown, murdered by O.J Simpson. Well, it still hasn't been proven and it probably never will be, and I know that it's 'innocent until proven guilty'....

"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit."
...Johnnie Cochrane

Being in Southern California, the epicenter of the whole thing, I remember what a media circus it was. However, in retrospect -- even though I thought the trial was a total joke -- you have to figure that if something like the O.J. Simpson trial could dominate the headlines like it did, then perhaps things weren't quite as bad as we thought back then. Well, as the school chaplain used to say, here endeth the lesson.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"The Social(ist) Networks/Facebook of China; Fast Company/Feb2011
Behind the Chinese firewall.... The proletariat complacent or... eventually restless.
China's card played within raises historic comparison and intense speculation.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Always enjoyed Kennedy, who is also an easy screenwrite adapt.
Saul Bellow championed Kennedy and Ironweed's publication.
Kennedy vaguely reminds me of Nelson Algren, "bard of the stumblebum."

Britain's Big Four: The Story of the London Midland and Scottish, London and North Eastern, Great Western, and Southern Railways
by Horace Greenleaf
(London: Winchester Publications, Ltd., 1948)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
For pleasure been reading a great deal of George Simenon both ther Maigret series and also his other fiction.

For work standard mix: Bayly and Harper, Forgotten Armies: The Fall of British Asia, 1941-45; Enerst May, Strange Victory: Hitler's Conquest of France; and Holmes, Winner and Yoshihara, Indian Naval Strategy in the 21st Century.

Fallen Angels: Paintings by Jack Vettriano
edited by W. Gordon Smith
(London: Pavilion Books, Ltd., 1994)

A collection of Noir-inspired paintings by Scottish artist Jack Vettriano.

TheGameofLife.jpg

The Game of Life

Jack-Vettriano-Amateur-Philosophers-205013.jpg

Amateur Philosophers

djd

Practically Family
Yes, I've read a few over the years. I find the earlier ones to be harder work - the Saint is rather more cocky and unlikeable in the earlier books I think...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner