Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

plain old dave

A-List Customer
"Sailors To The End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal And The Heroes Who Fought It" by Gregory Freeman. A riveting account of the worst mishap onboard an aircraft carrier in US Navy history, a flight deck fire on 29 July 1967 that rapidly spread through the aft 1/3 of the ship. No less than 9 high order explosions resulted and 134 Sailors lost.

If you're a Navy Vet or currently serving, especially onboard an aircraft carrier, don't read this one at night.

I tried that ONCE. Took over 2 hours to fall asleep after I put it down. Brought back some mighty unpleasant memories.

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm on a Kazuo Ishiguro binge.
Just read Never Let me Go. Currently reading The Remains of the Day. Next up: A Pale view of Hills

Superb writer. Highly recommended.

topango

Familiar Face
Recently finished "The breaking wave" by Nevil Shute. Two thumbs up and two big toes up (this being my highest rating)

Originally published in 1955, Its a greatest generation story by one of its own. Working my way through the acronyms and English/Australian vernacular was worth it in its self, without giving it away, the story has an unexplained suicide by an unknown woman, more than one unrealized love, set to a WWII background.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Im reading You Are My Sunshine - Judith Saxton its about the British WAAF on barrage balloon operation. A very interesting read. First time Ive tried a book by this author too :)

Hornfischer, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
Thomas Cleary, Samurai Wisdom
Osprey COMMAND Series #3, George S. Patton
Osprey NEW VANGUARD, Ships of the American Revolutionary Navy

A local Borders is in closing clearance, and between the flat 40%-off-almost-everything, the additional 25% off when buying eight or more items and finally 10% off the remaining price from their "Rewards Plus" program, I walked out with ~$400 in books and DVDs at around a quarter on the dollar. Beat THAT for "Power Shopping", ladies! :p :D LOL

Corto

A-List Customer
"Sailors To The End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal And The Heroes Who Fought It" by Gregory Freeman. A riveting account of the worst mishap onboard an aircraft carrier in US Navy history, a flight deck fire on 29 July 1967 that rapidly spread through the aft 1/3 of the ship. No less than 9 high order explosions resulted and 134 Sailors lost.

If you're a Navy Vet or currently serving, especially onboard an aircraft carrier, don't read this one at night.

I tried that ONCE. Took over 2 hours to fall asleep after I put it down. Brought back some mighty unpleasant memories.

Read "Troubled Water" also by Freeman. Intense stuff. My take on that one, is here. Great book.

Corto

A-List Customer
Currently reading "Proud Waters" by Ewart Brookes. (About Royal Navy minesweepers in the English Channel during WWII.) It's no "Cruel Sea", but it'll do.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
About a month ago I picked up 'How to Sew A Button' by Erin Bried. I don't know if anyone else has read it but I heartily recommended it! I posted a review on my blog if anyone is interested.
I'm also reading The Great Gatsby for the second time around. The first time I read it was middle school and I don't remember anything about it at all!

J.Pinkman

New in Town
I have read it earlier but i am reading it again . Punching Out and other writings by Martin Glaberman .
A really really very great book to read.

Blooze

Familiar Face
Tears in the Darkness by Michael Norman. About Ben Steele and other's experiences on the Bataan Death March. Very scary.

The Lost Generation- Children of the Holocaust by Azriel Eisenberg. Again....very scary, but also uplifting in the strength shown.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden, Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry by Lindy Woodhead
Cosmetic empire fisticuffs. I'm up to the 1930's and it's fascinating read.

No Ordinary Joes by Larry Colton
Story of the submarine Grenadier, scuttled after being damaged by the Japanese, and the crews survival in POW camps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo