Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many

Nanny Ogg

New in Town
I just finished reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Highly recommend it. Certainly one of the best books that I have read so far. It's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

Nanny Ogg

New in Town
Currently reading "Jonathan Strange and Mp. Norrell" and I think I'm about to fall in love with this book. The book is a historical british fiction with magical overtones, written in perfect style.

"'Can a magician kill a man by magic?' Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. 'I suppose a magician might,' he admitted, 'but a gentleman never could.'"

dnjan

One Too Many
Recently finished War and Peace.
One of Tolstoy's interesting observations (in the book, just before the occupation of Moscow):
"Every sovereign, except the Chinese, wears a military uniform and bestows the greatest rewards on those who kill the most people."

Decided I needed to read something lighter, so I switched to Dickens (one of the lessor-known collections) - American Notes and Pictures from Italy.
Dickens is a genius with the polite put-down, and I enjoyed one of his comments concerning a newspaper editor: "I have no doubt he ... (is) ... held in high repute by a select circle."

WH1

Practically Family
Sitting on the back porch reading Warlord by Carlos D'estes, a history of Winston Churchill, the warrior, while enjoying a Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary cigar and a glass of Warres 1670 Port and listening to the late summer evening sounds with the German Shorthair Pointer playing. No body armor and no weapons. A huge step in the return to civilization, while watching the beautiful full moon. One month back in the world and a million miles from Afghanistan. God is great and life is good.

Last edited:

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Currently reading "Jonathan Strange and Mp. Norrell" and I think I'm about to fall in love with this book. The book is a historical british fiction with magical overtones, written in perfect style.

"'Can a magician kill a man by magic?' Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. 'I suppose a magician might,' he admitted, 'but a gentleman never could.'"
I remember the first time I read that book. It was like slowly falling into a dream.

Do you have a copy of The Ladies of Grace Adieu? Lessons learned about magic... do not mess with children whom lady magicians are fond of. You will be served warm. And John Uskglass may be a king, but even a king shouldn't go snatching a man's dinner. Cause that's stealing :).

Last edited:

Cricket

Practically Family
I am currently reading The War, a companion to The War: A Ken Burns Film on PBS. Excellent read so far. Also found valuable information on the Battle of Hurtgen Forest, which my grandfather was in.

I love when you find a book that informs, entertains you especially with a personal touch. I feel like I better understand Paw Paw's life story now that I have pics and text to go along with it.

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
I'm reading at the moment, Post War Kitchen by Marguerite Patten (OBE) she worked for the Ministry of Food in the second world war. She ran the Food Bureau at Harrods. Its really interesting.

Terry292

New in Town
Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters, Lellenberg, Stashower & Foley, eds., The Penguin Press, New York, 2007. A collection of ACD's letters , 1867-1920. Eusebius, The Church History, Paul L. Maier, translator, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, MI, 1999. One of the earliest histories of the Christian church through the time of Emperor Constantine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24