What Are You Reading

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Lancealot, Aug 13, 2006.

1. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Absolutely. QB VII was an excellent book.

2. Tommy

Tommy One of the Regulars

Finished up the "Naked and the Dead" by Norman Mailer. It was worthwhile, didn't know what the expect, very readable, and a good WWII American pacific theater novel.

3. Connery

Connery One Too Many

Robert Ludlum "The Tristan Betrayal"

4. shazzabanazza

shazzabanazza Practically Family

Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult

What a fantastic story, I cant put it down!

5. Esme

Esme One of the Regulars

Bring on the Empty Horses sounds good. I can't believe I haven't read it before.
    I am smack dab in the middle of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Liking it so far. Pretty good.

6. davidraphael

davidraphael Practically Family

Currently reading Somerset Maugham's The Moon and Sixpence.
    I'm really getting a kick out of Maugham at the moment. Anyone have any favourite Maugham novels?
    [​IMG]

I'm also anxiously awaiting the imminent translation of Haruki Murakami's 1Q84. Waiting on tenterhooks! Only a few days to go!
    I've read everything by Murakami and consider him one of the best living writers.
    [​IMG]

7. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

Currently reading "The Queen's Necklace" by Dumas. Having previously read Dickens' rendition of the French revolution ("Tale of Two Cities"), I wanted a French version of those time. Dumas has a four (?) volume series that I am now starting.

8. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Just finished Impact by Douglas Preston and have started Revelation by C. J. Sansom. I quite enjoyed Impact and so far Revelation is interesting.

9. Originally Posted by rue
    Bernard Shaw and Mrs Patrick Campbell: Their Correspondence
    Interesting read........

Finally finished this book! I only had time to read it for about 10 minutes every night, so that's why.

Anyway, it was a great book, but the ending just ended and it made me want to know what happened. I guess that's the way with letters.... one day they just end [huh]

10. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Waste (1924), by Robert Herrick. A social-realist novel that talks about a lot of the Big Issues in American life that we still talk about today (unless we're novelists - the social novel is good and dead), and that we still don't have any answers for.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  11. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Dark Fire by C. J. Sansom

12. Just finished Dead Six by Larry Correia & Mike Kupari (dunno why Larry gets top billing, he actually joined the project halfway through--yep, that's right, a novel born from a gun-forum Creative Writing thread!LOL) and now moving onto Larry's Spellbound: Book II of The Grimnoir Chronicles. Magic + machine-guns + pirates + ninjas + zeppelins in an alternate 1930s = head-splitting awesomeness...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  13. Hawkcigar

Hawkcigar One of the Regulars

I just picked up a copy of Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. I just started thumbing through it but am excited to find some new recipes or maybe I should say new to me.

14. BigFitz

BigFitz Practically Family

"L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City" by John Buntin, non-fiction. A great read so far, especially makes a good companion piece if you like James Ellroy's L.A. quartet.

Recently finished Ken Bruen's "Headstone", another installment in the Jack Taylor series set in Galway, Ireland.

15. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

I'm reacquainting myself with Raymond Chandler. I've started off with The Little Sister.

16. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

Speed Duel.

17. moustache

moustache Practically Family

Threads by Joseph Abboud.

18. Alex Oviatt

Alex Oviatt A-List Customer

"Thrones, Dominations" which is the postumous Peter Whimsey. Given that it was co-written after the fact, it is quite good. Plenty of Dorothy Sayers in there.

19. LordBest

LordBest Practically Family

Inventing the Louvre by Andrew McClellan, a history of the development of that (second) greatest of world museums.

20. Tommy

Tommy One of the Regulars

working on Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.