Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

DNO

One Too Many
Non-fiction: The Civil War of 1812 by Alan Taylor...a really interesting (so far) interpretation of the War of 1812.

Fiction: Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: the Dead Town. Gotta find out what happens with Victor and his creations.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Just finished Dead Six by Larry Correia & Mike Kupari (dunno why Larry gets top billing, he actually joined the project halfway through--yep, that's right, a novel born from a gun-forum Creative Writing thread!LOL) and now moving onto Larry's Spellbound: Book II of The Grimnoir Chronicles. Magic + machine-guns + pirates + ninjas + zeppelins in an alternate 1930s = head-splitting awesomeness...

Got "Dead Six" but haven't started it yet, I read the "Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler" serial online back in the day and it was very good. I need to get the second Hard Magic novel as well. But everything is on hold now as it is time for me to re-read The Lord of the Rings. I have read LotR almost every year since I was 14 and due to issues beyond my control I did not read it last year so I need my fix. I will also be going through all of Tolkien's Middle Earth books in the coming year.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Just finished the hardcover version of all the "Punisher Noir" series for any comic book nerds out there. The Jigsaw death could have had a little more juice and story to it. He just kinda shows up and then gets killed in an anticlimactic way. I was just kinda left saying, "really? That's it"? Overall the noir series of Punisher is alright-good. I'll check out most anything comic related that's golden era. There's some pretty cool artwork in it.

DNO

One Too Many
Just finished the hardcover version of all the "Punisher Noir" series for any comic book nerds out there. The Jigsaw death could have had a little more juice and story to it. He just kinda shows up and then gets killed in an anticlimactic way. I was just kinda left saying, "really? That's it"? Overall the noir series of Punisher is alright-good. I'll check out most anything comic related that's golden era. There's some pretty cool artwork in it.

Was that written by Victor Gischler?...I know he has written some of the Punisher comics. I'm a huge fan of his books...Pistol Poets, Gun Monkeys, etc...especially Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I`m beginning an anthology of Roald Dahl`s short stories entitled The Roald Dahl Omnibus:perfect Bedtime Stories for Sleepless Nights. I `m beginning with "Royal Jelly" (a truly creepy story).

Also working piecemeal on Franz Kafka`s feel good father-and-son :eusa_doh: novella Brief an Den Vater [Letter To His Father].Slow going as I`m tackling it in the original German.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I'm normally a fiction girl but, at the moment, I'm reading "The Last Fighting Tommy" a biography of Harry Patch the last European WWI veteran who died in 2009. It makes for very poignant, but also strangely uplifting, reading.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
The road to Wigan Pier by Orwell, I 've been meaning to read this for years and it hasn't dissapointed...funny thing is when I was an apprentice in the early 1980's and working on the steelworks in Redcar (England) I/we lodged in 'doss' houses like the ones Orwell mentions at the start of his book, the fly blown window ledges broken panes, and dirty net curtains brought memories swimming back, jumping outa bed still half cut from the night before and another guy was waiting to get in your bed! (seriously!!!) add in the more modern shower cubicles with blocked drain hole with human (male) hair and water backing up to the top of the shower tray and you get the idea, and that was in 1985 !

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I just finished reading Stephen King's newest, "11/22/63," a time-travel novel about the (possible) stopping of the Kennedy assassination.

Very good, I think. Very long, very detailed, very thought provoking. A good read, especially for vintage types! Anyone else read it?

Feraud

Bartender
Currently reading The Mysterious Montague, A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery by Leigh Montville. A 30s era man from NY state pulls a botched stick-up then re-appears in California with a new name and a superior golf swing.
As a roommate of Oliver Hardy, John Montague (real name LaVerne Moore) played golf with names like Bing Crosby, Howard Hughes, Babe Ruth and drew attention from anyone who swung a club or wrote about the game. The Hollywood crowd fawned over this unknown golf whiz. After sportswriter Grantland Rice called him, "the greatest golfer in the world" Montague's criminal past was destined to surface.

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Today we start rolling with Christmas, getting down the boxes of decorations, setting up the tree, putting up the lights, and doing up the house, so I will start my Christmas reading with Peter Spier's Christmas!, followed by Merry Christmas, Mr. Baxter by Edward Streeter (who also wrote Father of the Bride), and then finish up with A Christmas Carol, by that Dickens guy.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I am reading a jumbo anthology of Pulp age detective fiction;" the Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps" It's over 1,200 pages containing over fifty stories and two novels. The stories remind me of an hour long tv show. The action moves quickly and the resolution of the mystery takes place in the time it takes to finish two cups of coffee. Very enjoyable.

dnjan

One Too Many
Currently reading "Taking the Bastille" by Alexandre Dumas. This is the second book in his four-part series on the French Revolution.
"The Queen's Necklace" (the first book) gave a good introduction to the intrigues of upper society in 18th century France.
"Taking the Bastille" is providing a good example of what happened when push came to shove following some of the upper-society excesses.

I thought Dumas's suggestion that some of the excesses on the part of the "Citizens" were fueled by funding from England. Since I am in no way an historian, I will accept that as an entirely plausible explanation (as is often the case with historical fiction), and am not at all surprised that Dickens did not suggest it in "Tale of Two Cities".

Looking forward to continuing the series with "Countess de Charny"

Gromulus

Practically Family
Just finished "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William L. Shirer. I have been meaning to read that for years. Now reading something much lighter; Tom Clancy's "Dead or Alive".

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Just finished "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William L. Shirer. I have been meaning to read that for years. Now reading something much lighter; Tom Clancy's "Dead or Alive".

The first time I read "Rise and Fall", I was in middle school. I was a very serious young woman. When I studied WW II later in college, I had to explain to my military history professor that I carried a book like "The Wind in the Willows" as antidote to the misery of it all.

Right now, I'm not reading one particular book. In remembrance of December 7th, I'm just sort of grazing through my books reading anything Pacific theater oriented. I'm tempted to swing by the library tomorrow and see what's available on Pearl Harbor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points