Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

J.W.

A-List Customer
In preparation to my trip to Cornwall & Devon in about three weeks, I've still got to read Daphne DuMaurier's Jamaika Inn and possibly Vanishing Cornwall, but I've still got to get hold of them. And maybe I'll skim though Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles again.

Just finished "Citizens of London" about prominent Americans who tried to convince the US to join Britain in WWII. The relationship between Roosevelt and Churchill and the conflicts between Allied commanders was very enlightening, as was the significant amount of clandestine amorous entanglements with the Americans and Churchill women.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom (I have read this great American Classic several times)
Frederic Bastiat: A Man Alone by George Charles Roche III

Incidentally, for those reading The Source by James Michener, this is perhaps my all time favorite Michener book, and I have read many.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Sam Cowan's "Alvin York and his Mountain People". A true Jazz Age classic dating back to 1922, and you can get a facsimile copy at Pastor Pile's store on York Highway in Pall Mall. The Fentress County, TN newspaper still prints them.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished "Citizens of London" about prominent Americans who tried to convince the US to join Britain in WWII. The relationship between Roosevelt and Churchill and the conflicts between Allied commanders was very enlightening, as was the significant amount of clandestine amorous entanglements with the Americans and Churchill women.

I want to read this. It sounds fascinating.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Set in WW2 Lithuania and Siberia.

The Second World War by Antony Beevor. A mammoth read at 880 pages, but it promises to be good.

Monsignore

New in Town
Just finished re-reading "Snake pilot" by R. Zahn and Tom Johnson's "To the limit", both memories of chopper pilots in Vietnam.

Right now, reading on paper "Hatless Jack" (heard about it in some hat forum :D) and "Headhunters" by Matt Brennan (referenced in "To the limit") - both arrived on Monday. And on ebook, "Einstein vs Predator" (about science in Sci-Fi movies).

Down to fifty-five in the "pending reads" list. Must find a way to read in the shower...

Soviet MiG-15 Aces of the Korean War
by Leonid Krylov and Yuriy Tepsurkaev
(Osprey Publishing, 2008)

While direct Soviet involvement in the Korean War was generally suspected throughout the Cold War years, Soviet MiG-15 Aces finally tells their story. Of peripheral interest to Loungers are numerous pics of Soviet pilots in period civilian garb in keeping with the clandestine nature of their presence in China and North Korea at the time. There's also some great images of Soviet leather flight jackets.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Just finished re-reading "Snake pilot" by R. Zahn and Tom Johnson's "To the limit", both memories of chopper pilots in Vietnam.

Right now, reading on paper "Hatless Jack" (heard about it in some hat forum :D) and "Headhunters" by Matt Brennan (referenced in "To the limit") - both arrived on Monday. And on ebook, "Einstein vs Predator" (about science in Sci-Fi movies).

Down to fifty-five in the "pending reads" list. Must find a way to read in the shower...

I read, and enjoyed, "Headhunters" years ago. Brennan wrote a second book about his experiences but Headhunter was definitely the best of the two.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just reserved the first in Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir trilogy, March of Violets at the library and will pick it up tonight. I've heard great things about this series.

Flicka

One Too Many
Just reserved the first in Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir trilogy, March of Violets at the library and will pick it up tonight. I've heard great things about this series.

I've read it. It wasn't bad at all, and a good read for atmoshpere etc but as I had the whodunnit part figured out about 15% in, I got rather tired of seeing the MC flail around and missing the obvious.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've read it. It wasn't bad at all, and a good read for atmoshpere etc but as I had the whodunnit part figured out about 15% in, I got rather tired of seeing the MC flail around and missing the obvious.

Hmm too bad, mysteries that are too easy to figure out can get tedious to read.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Thin Man for the first time. Who knew Nick Charles was Greek and that Asta was a female.......Also lots of rather racy stuff (for the time) that never made it to screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails