Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Let's see...Antony Beever's massive The Second World War (I'm digesting it a bit at a time). Just finished Kristina McMorris's Bridges of Scarlet Leaves, a novel about the Japanese-American internment during WW2. Pretty great historical details on this one.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
On a Gaston Leroux kick at the moment, Phantom of the Opera the other week and Mystery of the Yellow Room this week. I watched L'Hermier's 1930 film adaptation of the Yellow Room a little while back and that got me re-interested in the author.

Flicka

One Too Many
Scoop by Evelyn Waugh, When God Made Hell about the WWI campaign in Mesopotamia and a biography on Mortimer Wheeler.

DNO

One Too Many
Nicholas Jennings' fascinating look at the music scene in Toronto in the 1960's: Before the Gold Rush. What a time...Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Lightfoot, Rick James, Ronnie Hawkins, Robbie Robertson, Denny Doherty, Leon Helms, etc. Wow.
Oh, and Dean Koontz's 77 Shadow Street.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Suetonius - "The Twelve Caesars".

Read bits and bobs of this in 7th Form for Classics but dug it out and am thoroughly enjoying this. A wonderful look at the lives of the empire's first rulers. Very readable, humorous, scandalous and deliciously salacious!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished an excellent thriller by debut novelist David John called Flight from Berlin. Takes place in Berlin during the 1936 Olympics.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Moving the Mountain, by Feisal Abdul Rauf, in which the author advocates a kinder, softer (American) version of Islam, one that he posits is true to the pure teachings of Islam. His goals seem to be noble, including creating an atmosphere of peace between Muslims and non-Muslims, and one can perceive sincerity in his tone. So far, though, he has downplayed (misrepresented) Sharia Law, attributed to the Koran certain positive adages which are actually found in the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures, and implied that Muslim, Jews, and Christians can worship together. In addition, his assertion that the "overwhelming" majority of Muslims "disagree profoundly with the extremist, narrow, parochial interpretations of Islam" seems untenable considering what has recently occurred in many Muslim-majority countries in Africa and Asia. Let's see how he does with Islamic history...

Bringing Up Bébé.
Pamela Druckerman
Pretty interesting and entertaining - for the subject matter. We're reading it to better our grand-parenting skills :)

Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician by Anthony Everitt

He was a man of many talents and many common phrases and sayings we use today originate with a this man over 2000 years ago. His wit was really quite hilarious and we think the politics of today is mean, personal and over the top. At least we don't try to kill our politcal opponents. lol lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician by Anthony Everitt

He was a man of many talents and many common phrases and sayings we use today originate with a this man over 2000 years ago. His wit was really quite hilarious and we think the politics of today is mean, personal and over the top. At least we don't try to kill our politcal opponents. lol lol

And the funny thing is, his name really should be pronounced Ki'-kero...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo