Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Flicka

One Too Many
Now 1/2 through, I'm finding it in many ways more compelling than Three Musketeers. Much darker, more nuanced politically, less of a fencing romp, more of a mature story of intrigue and drama. By all accounts this book was as popular at the time as the first. The next one in the trilogy, not so much.

To be honest, I think it has to do with the fact that I always pretty much loathed the musketeers, Athos and d'Artagnan especially. Heroic musketeers, my behind. Bullies and toadies, more like it. I suppose I had convinced myself they got their comeuppance somehow, and this book just didn't deliver. I think I failed to sympathise with pretty much anyone in that book.

Mind you, I am toying with the idea of writing Mylady's story one day. I always felt she was horribly maligned and I think it'd be fun to write a story of one of the great villains of literature and turn things upside down (or rather, calling them by their proper names).

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, they are really quite awful characters. d'Artagnan, somehow even worse in the sequel than in the first. Still, no reason for a good book to have likeable characters! (tbh, I don't like most people I meet in real life so I see this in characters as mere reality.)

To be honest, I think it has to do with the fact that I always pretty much loathed the musketeers, Athos and d'Artagnan especially. Heroic musketeers, my behind. Bullies and toadies, more like it. I suppose I had convinced myself they got their comeuppance somehow, and this book just didn't deliver. I think I failed to sympathise with pretty much anyone in that book.

Mind you, I am toying with the idea of writing Mylady's story one day. I always felt she was horribly maligned and I think it'd be fun to write a story of one of the great villains of literature and turn things upside down (or rather, calling them by their proper names).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Twopence Coloured' by Patrick Hamilton. One of his long out-of-print early novels. It has been republished in the series 'Faber Finds' - a fantastic series of titles aimed at reviving obscure works. Their motto is 'Bringing Great Writing back Into Print'. http://www.faber.co.uk/faberfinds/
Other authors they have republished include the war poet Keith Douglas, John Cowper Powys, Rex Warner, Arthur Morrison and Robert Aickman.

Hobart Arms

New in Town
I just picked up a 1943 pocket book of Raymond Chandler's "Farewell, My Lovely" in great shape! I think I have found my new travel companion.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
I just finished "Busman's Honeymoon" by Dorothy Sayers. It was like reading a romance with a murder mystery as an aside. It seemed like Wimsey could have been a lost love, perhaps during The Great War and Harriet Vane was her surrogate.

Feraud

Bartender
I got on this classic movie story kick and purchased Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Murphy's War, and The African Queen.

Started Treasure and am enjoying it. The novel was written by the mysterious B. Traven provides additional character depth and motivation. Once I finish the story I'll re-watch Huston's excellent film for any new perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn