Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'The Train' is one of his best. Really simple story but incredibly evocative of it time and place (France 1940).

One reviewer described it: "Simenom is a master who has been waiting for his masterpiece. This is it." (or something like that).

Conan The Barbarian , by Robert E Howard who wrote a ton of paperbacks in the mid 30's and westerns as well .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Great choice! I read so many of his as a child, a teen, and an adult. A lot of his stories have been reissued in recent years. Although Conan is what he is typically known for, he wrote so much more.
:D

cw3pa

A-List Customer
I too, read most of the Conan short stories when I was a teenager. I still have most of the of the paperbacks around somewhere. They have have the Frank Frazetta art on the covers. I think they sold for less then a dollar apiece when I bought them new. Have to revisit Conan one of these days.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Conan Rule's

I too, read most of the Conan short stories when I was a teenager. I still have most of the of the paperbacks around somewhere. They have have the Frank Frazetta art on the covers. I think they sold for less then a dollar apiece when I bought them new. Have to revisit Conan one of these days.

I must agree, I love reading Conan and my man cave is loaded with all of his books , I have both of the swords from both movies ( and alot of other swords) and posters of conan and also signed prints from Frank Frazetta !

All the Best , Fashion Frank

'The Train' is one of his best. Really simple story but incredibly evocative of it time and place (France 1940).

One reviewer described it: "Simenom is a master who has been waiting for his masterpiece. This is it." (or something like that).

He is a master of creating atmosphere. I have The Train but have yet to read it. I tend to ration out Simenon, Chandler, MacDonald, Goodis, and a few others. Sadly, at some point I will have read everything of theirs that was published and with nothing new to look forward to, will have to start over.
:D

hatguy1

One Too Many
If interested in a private eye novel, "The Wichita Mysteries" is a trilogy based in late 1940s and early 1950s Wichita, Kansas when the defense plants, movie theaters and bowling alleys went 3 shifts. It's a great private eye novel, well researched in the local culture etc of the time - the zoo was in Riverside Park, the local AAA baseball team was the Braves and so on. Written in the early 1990s I think by Gaylord Dold I think, it makes some interesting fedora-wearing/vintage-based reading.

Did you get the bacon bookmark I sent you? :p

:p

51i-zKJoyTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points