Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Fire in the Sky" by Michael Molkentin, the history of the Australian Flying Corps during WWI.

Absolutely magnificent read, fascinating, very readable, hugely comprehensive and chock-a-block full of firsthand accounts. Very highly recommended.

fire-in-the-sky-flying-corps-afc.jpg

hatguy1

One Too Many
Just finished "Farewell My Lovely" by Raymond Chandler. Hoping my copies of either "American Caesar" or "Frank Sinatra; How to Wear Your Hat" arrive soon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Eagle Squadrons, Yanks in the RAF 1940-1942

That's not a bad read at all.

If you're interested in Americans in the RAF, Philip Caine's "American Pilots in the RAF: The WWII Eagle Squadrons" is also good, although it does have a few minor errors and it's a bit light photo-wise.

His bio of LeRoy Glover, "Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Warm Beer" based in large part on Glover's letters and his diary though is brilliant and one of the best in conveying what it was like to be a Yank living, flying and fighting in Britain.

I'll also put in a plug for Bill Dunn's "Fighter Pilot" which is also excellent and has a wonderful appendix comparing what it was like flying the various types.

Cheers,

Tim

DNO

One Too Many
"Fire in the Sky" by Michael Molkentin, the history of the Australian Flying Corps during WWI.

Absolutely magnificent read, fascinating, very readable, hugely comprehensive and chock-a-block full of firsthand accounts. Very highly recommended.

fire-in-the-sky-flying-corps-afc.jpg

No surprise really...Bean's official history is immensely more readable and often more informative that any other official history of the First World War. If the official history is like that, no wonder that other histories are as well! Heck...the Canadian one never really got beyond volume one and the British history is often more of a political document than anything else.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I recently purchased this, with some money I've collected over Chinese New Year (o, the joys of being Asian, and single...)

label%20cover.jpg

I've wanted this for ages. But I was never able to justify buying it due to the price-tag. I recently came into some money, and decided to splurge on the book. It's a FASCINATING collection of old hotel-labels, luggage-tags, postcards and information about hotels ALL OVER THE WORLD, during the Golden Age of Travel during the 1920s and 30s!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
No surprise really...Bean's official history is immensely more readable and often more informative that any other official history of the First World War. If the official history is like that, no wonder that other histories are as well! Heck...the Canadian one never really got beyond volume one and the British history is often more of a political document than anything else.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Definitely do DNO, I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in WWI aviation.

I recently purchased this, with some money I've collected over Chinese New Year (o, the joys of being Asian, and single...)

label%20cover.jpg

I've wanted this for ages. But I was never able to justify buying it due to the price-tag. I recently came into some money, and decided to splurge on the book. It's a FASCINATING collection of old hotel-labels, luggage-tags, postcards and information about hotels ALL OVER THE WORLD, during the Golden Age of Travel during the 1920s and 30s!!

Sounds fascinating Shangas, wouldn't mind getting a copy myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"Road to Ekaterinburg" by ECS Banks

I read anything that has to do with the last years of the tragic lives of the Tzar of Russia and his family ....even if it's poorly written as this book...which in fact is appalling ....so bad that I don't know if I will be able to finish it...but I will force myself ...that's how much those sad lives fascinate me.

I already have read 10 books about this subject, I still can't get enough.

topango

Familiar Face
"Road to Ekaterinburg" by ECS Banks

I read anything that has to do with the last years of the tragic lives of the Tzar of Russia and his family ....even if it's poorly written as this book...which in fact is appalling ....so bad that I don't know if I will be able to finish it...but I will force myself ...that's how much those sad lives fascinate me.

I already have read 10 books about this subject, I still can't get enough.

If you like the characters and events surrounding the Romanovs , read Richard Luckket”s The White Generals. Its great and well written

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner