Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Rat Pack Confidential by Shawn Levy... I might read this book next, I don't know yet...the murder of the Tzar and family haunts me still...very much.

I recall a pretty Sheila who once advised a Yank depressed over Memorial Day to "snap out of it"...:eek:

Rebecca Mead's My Life in Middlemarch is a good book to lift your spirits. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I seem to be reading a lot of non-fiction lately. Currently I'm trying to work on two books at the same time which cover a similar theme:
- The Defence of the Realm - The Authorised History of MI5 (published on MI5's Centenary in 2009)
- Next Stop Execution - The Autobiography of Oleg Gordiefsky

I'm already thinking ahead to what I might read next on my rapidly growing reading list, as I spend so much time travelling at the moment that I finish books quite quickly.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Enough with the serious stuff, I'm now laughing myself sick with "Sob Ballads," by Clarence H. Knapp -- a 1930 collection of outrageous parodies of 1890s tear-jerkers, taken from pieces originally published in the New Yorker. The lachrymose tragic ballad was a "Gay Nineties" cliche even while the 1890s were still going on, but Knapp's versions go beyond simple parody into sublime comic poetry. My favorite so far is "Let Me Play In The Ash Pit, Mother."

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Finished "The Case of the Velvet Claws" by Erle Stanley Gardner. If I've got it right, it's the first Perry Mason mystery. Published in 1933. Raymond Burr fits Perry Mason's description to a "T". William Hopper as Paul Drake not so much, and Della Street appears to be more than just a secretary.

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Enough with the serious stuff
Indeed. :nod:
I've recently finished reading a fluff called "Hitler's violin" - action packed triller with a hint of history, written by a former Israeli fighter pilot who became a famous violinist, Igal Shamir, born in 1938 in Tel Aviv – in Palestine, as the cover points out – in a family of Polish origin.

Now, I'm back to Umberto Eco, and the book is called: "The Prague Cemetery".

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon.
I have never read an Ernest Hemingway novel, I thought I would start with this as I am interested in modern Spanish history. I do find it hard going due to his long paragraphs, sometimes over a page in length. It's a great book, being almost a manual about bull fighting.
Are Hemingway's novels in the same style?

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hemmingway's Death in the Afternoon.

Are Hemmingway's novels in the same style?

Hemingway characterized his writing as "a simple declarative sentence style;" although he himself was much more complex.
The Sun Also Rises is arguably his best novel.

Revisiting Frans Osinga's Science, Strategy, and War; The Strategic Theory of John Boyd.

Last edited:
Not so much simple, but definitely declarative. I was thoroughly engrossed by Death in the Afternoon, although I'll admit that at times it was like reading a really long encyclopedia article on the subject.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Not so much simple, but definitely declarative. I was thoroughly engrossed by Death in the Afternoon, although I'll admit that at times it was like reading a really long encyclopedia article on the subject.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

100% agree. Though I am certainly not a fan of bullfighting this book makes me understand the formalities much more and also an insight into Spanish culture despite the fact that the book was written pre-civil war.

DNO

One Too Many
This thread seems to have become a bit dormant!

Amongst others, I've just started Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana