Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
This one could almost be an entry in "This Day in History". I've just started Catastrophe 1914:Europe Goes to War by Max Hastings. This Saturday will be the 100th anniversary of the murder of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo, the match that lit the fuse that triggered the explosion that was "The Great War".

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Dietrich von Hildebrand's What is Philosophy?

Out of print and bought for a song, von Hildebrand's book dovetails Maritain's Thomist chef d'oeuvre, Les degres du savoir :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I am reading the first issue of The Australia Times - History

It has taken three months of researching, writing, rewriting, editing, proofreading, editing, last-minute hiccups, searching for photographs, taking more photographs, collecting sources and references, and anxious waiting, but it's finally done!

...And Yours Truly is the Editor :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I am reading the first issue of The Australia Times - History

It has taken three months of researching, writing, rewriting, editing, proofreading, editing, last-minute hiccups, searching for photographs, taking more photographs, collecting sources and references, and anxious waiting, but it's finally done!

...And Yours Truly is the Editor :)

Well done Shangas, congrats on the new mag. Have you got distribution throughout Victoria and Oz? I'll have to keep an eye out so I can pick up a copy.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's strictly online at the moment, Smithy. The company I write this for is very very VERY new (only a year old tomorrow). They only have one magazine currently in-print. All their others are online (like mine).

hatguy1

One Too Many
America Walks into a Bar: A Spirited History of Taverns and Saloons, Speakeasies and Grog Shops
by Christine Sismondo

A very insightful and sometimes humorous look at the heritage of the American drinkin' spot. (Perfect for fellow Loungers).

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
A friend found this super awesome vintage magazine, Good•Old•Days http://www.goodolddaysmagazine.com/ and sent it to me. Its so cool reading inspiring stories from people who are alive today talking about what happened in their lives during the 1930s-1950s. There are some kitchen recipes, home remedies, quizzes, and advertising flashbacks. Plus modern advertising for the senior set, that suits my vintage life style :)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Moby Dick by Herman Melville. It's my first post-grad read and I have to say, I picked a good one.

Richard Poirier commented in A World Elsewhere that "Moby Dick is not written as cryptography but as a mystery."
Melville's novel is an intrigue, and others have opined that Ishmael is an uninvited guest at Plato's banquet in the Symposium,
and his tale a postscript to Diotima's. Although I might differ on this, it remains that Melville presents a literary cipher.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I just completed How to Win Friends and Influence People. It was a good book, but I will take some time off from reading. Why? I find reading slow, and it seems to be difficult for me. I have always been this way, and I have no idea why. I just start day dreaming when reading. Unfortunately, that affects my reading comprehension negatively.

The next book I might read, would either be the Lord of the Rings (the length of the book scares me), or some other book.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I just completed How to Win Friends and Influence People. It was a good book

Let us know how it works.

I never understood why people read "guides" like this - they all seem to me like simple money schemes. [huh]
Constraining oneself to behave "according to the rulebook" must be awkward.

Secondly, the impression I have (from reviews... correct me if wrong), is that the reader is told to be a passive, smiling yes-man and nice to everyone.

This won't win you "friends" and you certainly won't influence people.
Nothing wrong with good manners and politeness... but being natural, assertive and when needed blunt will do you much better.

Last edited:
51VF74ZJ4BL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner