Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
. Again, my guess from reading commentary about "The Group" is that part of its fame is its open discussion of some "not discussed" subjects at the time.

True. Maria penned an autobiography of sorts and found herself called to task by Mailer and others who recognized a shallowness.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I never heard about him other than, as jamespowers referenced, the author of that one book. How's he doing with Lincoln?

He's a good writer. In the introduction he mentions traveling to Lincoln's hometown and sitting under the same trees as Lincoln while writing the book! It's well-researched.
I set it down after Chapter 1 (I read all or most of it a few years ago before), but if I recall correctly, he does a good job detailing Lincoln's human side...the problems with Mary Todd, etc etc.

He's a good writer. In the introduction he mentions traveling to Lincoln's hometown and sitting under the same trees as Lincoln while writing the book! It's well-researched.
I set it down after Chapter 1 (I read all or most of it a few years ago before), but if I recall correctly, he does a good job detailing Lincoln's human side...the problems with Mary Todd, etc etc.

Thank you. Also, you get the understatement-of-the-day award for "the problems with Mary Todd," which is like saying Europe had a "problem" with that German leader in the 1930s.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. Also, you get the understatement-of-the-day award for "the problems with Mary Todd," which is like saying Europe had a "problem" with that German leader in the 1930s.

Lol!
Yes, but in turn, you realize how grounded in good character Abe was. He probably could have left her, but he didn't. I'll have to go back and check, but didn't he initially run away from the wedding?

Lol!
Yes, but in turn, you realize how grounded in good character Abe was. He probably could have left her, but he didn't. I'll have to go back and check, but didn't he initially run away from the wedding?

That sounds familiar and, you are so right, he had a rock-ribbed character that we don't find often today (especially in our politicians). That said, the cultural norm was different then as well - living with the consequence of your commitments was a highly prized and expected value; today, staying in tough situations is not lauded as much as making yourself happy is.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That sounds familiar and, you are so right, he had a rock-ribbed character that we don't find often today (especially in our politicians). That said, the cultural norm was different then as well - living with the consequence of your commitments was a highly prized and expected value; today, staying in tough situations is not lauded as much as making yourself happy is.

True, and the mindset of the time is talked about in detail in the book. But I don't know if it made a great deal of impact on him. I'd expect him to behave the same way in the year 2014!
The guy battled personal demons. Probably the modern day diagnosis of depression or bipolar disorder. I think through his own suffering he was able to sympathize with others in disadvantaged situations.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished "Hollywood Cemetery," by the Irish novelist Liam O'Flaherty. Published in 1935, this is one of the most savage satires of the movie business ever written, with the most audacious ending I've ever seen in a thirties novel. I can't begin to imagine why it was never made into a film.

True, and the mindset of the time is talked about in detail in the book. But I don't know if it made a great deal of impact on him. I'd expect him to behave the same way in the year 2014!
The guy battled personal demons. Probably the modern day diagnosis of depression or bipolar disorder. I think through his own suffering he was able to sympathize with others in disadvantaged situations.

I agree that he would have had his character even in today's disorder and moral equivocation. I try everyday (and only succeed sometimes) to live up to what I think / hope / believe are true timeless values of honesty, integrity and character despite how little they seem to matter today. Once in a blue moon, someone comments that I have an old-fashion character and, more enjoyable, I meet a similar person and we immediately have a trust (usually in some business transaction) where a handshake means more than all the words some use today and even more than all the documents and disclaimers one reads and signs today.

I recently used an electrician to fix some lights of ours and everything he said about the lights (they are 1920s lights we got rewired) was accurate and his cost (which he gave a range) came in below the range because he found a fixture to fit that he didn't think he would. It was incredibly refreshing to deal with integrity in a person - not "customer service," not "client appreciation," not "is there anything else I can for you" scripted words, but a man with character, integrity and honesty.

Lincoln, as you said, would most probably have been that type of man in any generation.

Just finished "Hollywood Cemetery," by the Irish novelist Liam O'Flaherty. Published in 1935, this is one of the most savage satires of the movie business ever written, with the most audacious ending I've ever seen in a thirties novel. I can't begin to imagine why it was never made into a film.

Lizzie, hi, where did you get the copy you read (or did you just have it on your bookshelf) as I looked to buy a copy based on your comments and, so far, everything I've seen is north of $70?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I agree that he would have had his character even in today's disorder and moral equivocation. I try everyday (and only succeed sometimes) to live up to what I think / hope / believe are true timeless values of honesty, integrity and character despite how little they seem to matter today. Once in a blue moon, someone comments that I have an old-fashion character and, more enjoyable, I meet a similar person and we immediately have a trust (usually in some business transaction) where a handshake means more than all the words some use today and even more than all the documents and disclaimers one reads and signs today.

I recently used an electrician to fix some lights of ours and everything he said about the lights (they are 1920s lights we got rewired) was accurate and his cost (which he gave a range) came in below the range because he found a fixture to fit that he didn't think he would. It was incredibly refreshing to deal with integrity in a person - not "customer service," not "client appreciation," not "is there anything else I can for you" scripted words, but a man with character, integrity and honesty.

Lincoln, as you said, would most probably have been that type of man in any generation.

People like that are still out there! Not terribly common though.
Actually, the book tells of a time, where compassion and good naturedness was the exception rather than the rule, not unlike today. There was a moral code and rules to live by, which god help you if you didn't measure to them! Lincoln's mom, I believe, had to flee to another state or county to avoid jail and ridicule for breaking the chastity rule. And people were VERY cruel to her about it, using the law as an excuse to be almost abusive! I think good naturedness was rare even back then. I don't know. But the book points that way.

People like that are still out there! Not terribly common though.
Actually, the book tells of a time, where compassion and good naturedness was the exception rather than the rule, not unlike today. There was a moral code and rules to live by, which god help you if you didn't measure to them! Lincoln's mom, I believe, had to flee to another state or county to avoid jail and ridicule for breaking the chastity rule. And people were VERY cruel to her about it, using the law as an excuse to be almost abusive! I think good naturedness was rare even back then. I don't know. But the book points that way.

No question that there were ugly events / times/ norms / values / accepted standards throughout history and some of the "good old values" were cruel. And the value that society puts on character and integrity ebbs and flows. When I grew up, it seemed that there was great value put on character, a handshake, your word as it appeared to me that the adults considered it to be the most valuable thing in the world. (This might not have been reflective of society writ large, but just my family and friends.)

That Lincoln had the values he had (and the compromises that some criticize him for) has to be judge in the context of the time he lived and the accepted values of the time - which make his choices all that more impressive.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
National Broadcasting Company Office Telephone Directory 1943.

Don't laugh, it's an invaluable tool for documenting exactly who was working at NBC-New York at the time, and to what department they were assigned. Not much of a plot, but a heck of a cast.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

... invaluable tool for documenting exactly who was working at NBC-New York at the time... Not much of a plot, but a heck of a cast.

:eek:fftopic: Lunch conversation about CBS News 1940s and Yul Brenner who tried to join Ed Murrow's team in London????

Don't laugh, it's an invaluable tool for documenting exactly who was working at NBC-New York at the time, and to what department they were assigned. Not much of a plot, but a heck of a cast.

I understand its value as a research tool - but are you really reading it? Also, if it is at all like the company directories for the companies I've worked for, its accuracy is highly suspect. People stay in directories long after they have left the company; sometimes people get listed who don't work there and some who do, get left off. That said, maybe my experiences are just reflective of the sloppy times we live in and back in the '40s they were more accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy